Carry Trade and Exchange Rate Regimes
AbstractCarry trade activities and foreign participation in local currency bonds in emerging countries have increased dramatically during the last decade. In line with this observation, we revisit the question of optimal exchange rate regime when developing countries can borrow internationally with local currency denominated debt. We obtain that a “pseudo flexible regime”, in which the country accumulates reserves in conjunction with debt, is the best policy alternative under real external shocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of São Paulo (FEA-USP) in its series Working Papers, Department of Economics with number 2012_05.
Date of creation: 05 Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Professor Luciano Gualberto, 908 - CEP 05508-900 São Paulo - SP
Web page: http://www.fea.usp.br/feaecon/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amartya Lahiri & Rajesh Singh & Carlos A. Vegh, 2007.
"Segmented Asset Markets and Optimal Exchange Rate Regimes,"
NBER Working Papers
13154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lahiri, Amartya & Singh, Rajesh & Vegh, Carlos, 2007. "Segmented asset markets and optimal exchange rate regimes," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 1-21, May.
- Singh, Rajesh & Lahiri, Amartya & Vegh, Carlos A, 2007. "Segmented Asset Markets and Optimal Exchange Rate Regimes," Staff General Research Papers 11446, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Alfaro, Laura & Kanczuk, Fabio, 2009.
"Optimal reserve management and sovereign debt,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 23-36, February.
- Laura Alfaro & Fabio Kanczuk, 2007. "Optimal Reserve Management and Sovereign Debt," NBER Working Papers 13216, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Alfaro & Fabio Kanczuk, 2007. "Optimal reserve management and sovereign debt," Working Paper Series 2007-29, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Luis Felipe Cespedes & Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 2000.
"Balance Sheets and Exchange Rate Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
7840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabio Kanczuk, 2004. "Real Interest Rates and Brazilian Business Cycles," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 436-455, April.
- Alfaro, Laura & Kanczuk, Fabio, 2010.
"Nominal versus indexed debt: A quantitative horse race,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1706-1726, December.
- Laura Alfaro & Fabio Kanczuk, 2007. "Nominal versus Indexed Debt: A Quantitative Horse Race," NBER Working Papers 13131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pedro Garcia Duarte).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.