Carry Trade and Exchange Rate Regimes
AbstractCarry trade activities and foreign participation in local currency bonds in emerging countries have increased dramatically during the last decade. In line with this observation, we revisit the question of optimal exchange rate regime when developing countries can borrow internationally with local currency denominated debt. We obtain that a “pseudo flexible regime”, in which the country accumulates reserves in conjunction with debt, is the best policy alternative under real external shocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of São Paulo (FEA-USP) in its series Working Papers, Department of Economics with number 2012_05.
Date of creation: 05 Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Professor Luciano Gualberto, 908 - CEP 05508-900 São Paulo - SP
Web page: http://www.fea.usp.br/feaecon/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000.
"Fear of Floating,"
NBER Working Papers
7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"The Forgotten History of Domestic Debt,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(552), pages 319-350, 05.
- Laura Alfaro & Fabio Kanczuk, 2007.
"Optimal Reserve Management and Sovereign Debt,"
NBER Working Papers
13216, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alfaro, Laura & Kanczuk, Fabio, 2010.
"Nominal versus indexed debt: A quantitative horse race,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1706-1726, December.
- Laura Alfaro & Fabio Kanczuk, 2007. "Nominal versus Indexed Debt: A Quantitative Horse Race," NBER Working Papers 13131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luis Felipe Céspedes & Roberto Chang & Andrés Velasco, 2004.
"Balance Sheets and Exchange Rate Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 1183-1193, September.
- Singh, Rajesh & Lahiri, Amartya & Vegh, Carlos A, 2007.
"Segmented Asset Markets and Optimal Exchange Rate Regimes,"
Staff General Research Papers
11446, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lahiri, Amartya & Singh, Rajesh & Vegh, Carlos, 2007. "Segmented asset markets and optimal exchange rate regimes," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 1-21, May.
- Amartya Lahiri & Rajesh Singh & Carlos A. Vegh, 2007. "Segmented Asset Markets and Optimal Exchange Rate Regimes," NBER Working Papers 13154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabio Kanczuk, 2004. "Real Interest Rates and Brazilian Business Cycles," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 436-455, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pedro Garcia Duarte).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.