Economies Of Scale In The Swiss Nursing Home Industry
AbstractThis paper examines costs in the Swiss nursing home industry, an issue of concern to Swiss policy makers because of the explosion of elderly care costs and the aging of the population. The paper considers estimation of a translog cost function employing panel data for a sample of 36 nonprofit nursing homes operating in Ticino, a canton of Switzerland, over the period 1993-1995. Using a set of dummy variables quality differences are considered. The results of this analysis indicate the existence of economies of scale for most output levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Zurich, Socioeconomic Institute in its series Working Papers with number 9901.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: Jan 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Applied Economic Letters 8(1), 2001, pages 43-46
nursing homes; Switzerland; panel data; cost function;
Other versions of this item:
- Massimo Filippini, 2001. "Economies of scale in the Swiss nursing home industry," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 43-46.
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- C49 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee Mobley & W. David Bradford, 1997. "Behavioural differences among hospitals: it is ownership, or location?," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1125-1138.
- Filippini, Massimo & Maggi, Rico, 1993. "Efficiency and Regulation in the Case of the Swiss Private Railways," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 199-216, June.
- Vitaliano, Donald F. & Toren, Mark, 1994. "Cost and efficiency in nursing homes: a stochastic frontier approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 281-300, October.
- Manuel Frondel & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2006. "On the Restrictiveness of Separability: The Significance of Energy in German Manufacturing," RWI Discussion Papers 0038, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Lars-Erik Borge & Marianne Haraldsvik, 2009. "Efficiency potential and determinants of efficiency: An analysis of the care of elderly sector in Norway," Working Paper Series 10109, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Diego Lunati, 2008.
"Economies of Scale and Efficiency Measurement in Switzerland's Nursing Homes,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(III), pages 359-378, September.
- Medhi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Diego Lunati, 2008. "Economies of scale and efficiency measurement in Switzerland's Nursing homes," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0801, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2005. "Unobserved heterogeneity in stochastic cost frontier models: an application to Swiss nursing homes," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2127-2141.
- Atsushi Iimi, 2003. "Efficiency in the Pakistani Banking Industry: Empirical Evidence after the Structural Reform in the Late 1990s," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(1), pages 41-57.
- Massimo Filippini & Martin Koller & Urs Trinkner, 2010. "Do opening hours and unobserved heterogeneity affect economies of scale and scope in postal outlets?," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 1007, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.