To whom should we be fair? Ethical issues in Balancing Stakeholder Interests from Banco Compartamos Case Study
AbstractIn the world of microfinance, interest rate ethics is an important issue, thrown into the limelight by the Initial Public Offering of Compartamos which resulted in millions of dollars of gains, some of which found their way into private pockets. These high gains were based on high interest rates, raising ethical questions. The paper then uses a stakeholder analysis to explain the interests of different stakeholders in this case and present that fairness to one group of stakeholders is often at the expense of another group. We take the position that in this case, specifically, the firm objectives could have been met without such ethical trade-offs. The specifics of the case are then generalised to all NGOs participating in for-profit firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers CEB with number 09-036.RS.
Length: 34 p.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Agency problem; business ethics; fairness; governance; microfinance; stakeholder;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Copestake, James, 2007. "Mainstreaming Microfinance: Social Performance Management or Mission Drift?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1721-1738, October.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, December.
- Marek Hudon, 2009.
"Should access to credit be a right?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/14210, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marek Hudon, 2007. "Should Access to Credit be a Right ?," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 07-008.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Arvind Ashta, 2009. "Microcredit Capital Flows and Interest Rates: An Alternative Explanation," Journal of Economic Issues, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(3), pages 661-684, September.
- Robert Cull & Asli DemirguÃ§-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2007.
"Financial performance and outreach: a global analysis of leading microbanks,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F107-F133, 02.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006. "Financial performance and outreach : a global analysis of leading microbanks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3827, The World Bank.
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert & Teki, Habteab Mehrteab, 2003.
"Peer monitoring, social ties and moral hazard in group lending programmes: evidence from Eritrea,"
03E36, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert & Mehrteab, Habteab T., 2005. "Peer Monitoring, Social Ties and Moral Hazard in Group Lending Programs: Evidence from Eritrea," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 149-169, January.
- Zeller, Manfred & Meyer, Richard L., 2002. "The triangle of microfinance," Food policy statements 40, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Annabel Vanroose, 2008. "What macro factors make microfinance institutions reach out?," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 08-036.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marc Labie & Anaïs Périlleux, 2008. "Corporate governance in microfinance: credit unions," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 08-003.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
- Niels Hermes & Robert Lensink, 2007.
"The empirics of microfinance: what do we know?,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F1-F10, 02.
- Stephen Brammer & Andrew Millington, 2004. "The Development of Corporate Charitable Contributions in the UK: A Stakeholder Analysis," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(8), pages 1411-1434, December.
- Constant Mews & Ibrahim Abraham, 2007. "Usury and Just Compensation: Religious and Financial Ethics in Historical Perspective," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, April.
- Roy Mersland & Reidar Ã˜ystein Strï¿½m, 2008. "Performance and trade-offs in Microfinance Organisations-does ownership matter?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(5), pages 598-612.
- Hartarska, Valentina M., 2005. "Governance and Performance of Microfinance Institutions in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly Independent States," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24568, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Marco Tavanti, 2013. "Before Microfinance: The Social Value of Microsavings in Vincentian Poverty Reduction," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 112(4), pages 697-706, February.
- Armendáriz, Beatriz & Szafarz, Ariane, 2011.
"On mission drift in microfinance institutions,"
31041, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Ariane Szafarz, 2009. "On Mission Drift In Microfinance Institutions," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 09-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Ariane Szafarz, 2011. "On Mission Drift in Microfinance Institutions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/97387, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marek Hudon & AnaÃ¯s PÃ©rilleux, 2011. "Performance Management of Double Bottom Line Institutions: Evidence from Banco Compartamosâ€™s Productivity Distribution," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 11-056, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Szafarz, Ariane & BriÃ¨re, Marie, 2011.
"Investment in Microfinance Equity : Risk, Return, and Diversification Benefits,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/7858, Paris Dauphine University.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Szafarz, 2011. "Investment in Microfinance Equity: Risk, Return, and Diversification Benefits," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 11-050, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Tzu-Kuan Chiu, 2014. "Putting Responsible Finance to Work for Citi Microfinance," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 119(2), pages 219-234, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.