What macro factors make microfinance institutions reach out?
AbstractThis paper identifies factors that explain why microfinance institutions are reaching more clients in some countries than in others. To that end, the paper applies a cross-country analysis on a unique dataset covering 115 countries. Results indicate that the microfinance sector is more present in the richer countries of the developing world. It also reaches more clients in countries that receive more international support. Population density plays also a positive role, which could explain why the sector is still underdeveloped in rural areas. The level of industrialisation and inflation do not seem to influence microfinance outreach, while regional dummies do.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers CEB with number 08-036.RS.
Length: 26 p.
Date of creation: Oct 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by: Université Libre de Bruxelles, Solvay Business School, Centre Emile Bernheim (CEB)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
microfinance; financial sector development; aid; developing world;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2008-12-01 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2008-12-01 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-DEV-2008-12-01 (Development)
- NEP-MFD-2008-12-01 (Microfinance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annabel Vanroose, 2007. "Microfinance and its macro-environment," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14333, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
- Sriram M S & Kumar Radha, . "Conditions in Which Microfinance has Emerged in Certain Regions and Consequent Policy Implications," IIMA Working Papers WP2005-05-03, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh & Guinnane, Timothy W., 1999.
"The economics of lending with joint liability: theory and practice,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 195-228, October.
- Ghatak, M. & Guinnane, T.W., 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Papers 791, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Discussion Papers 98-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Working Papers 791, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Timothy W. Guinnane, 2005. "Regional Banks for Micro-Credit Institutions: Centrals in," 2005 Meeting Papers 74, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2004.
"The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 526-556, June.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," CRSP working papers 511, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," NBER Working Papers 7563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital In Financial Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 2383, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marek Hudon & Daniel Traca, 2006.
"On the efficiency effects of subsidies in microfinance: an empirical inquiry,"
Working Papers CEB
06-020.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hudon, Marek & Traca, Daniel, 2011. "On the Efficiency Effects of Subsidies in Microfinance: An Empirical Inquiry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 966-973, June.
- Daniel Traca, 2011. "On the Efficiency Effects of Subsidies in Microfinance: An Empirical Inquiry," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/89989, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2007.
"Reaching out: Access to and use of banking services across countries,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 234-266, July.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2005. "Reaching out : access to and use of banking services across countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3754, The World Bank.
- Beck, H.T.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt , A. & Peria, M.M, 2007. "Reaching out: Access to and use of banking services across countries," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125425, Tilburg University.
- Hollis, Aidan & Sweetman, Arthur, 1998. "Microcredit: What can we learn from the past?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1875-1891, October.
- Marc Labie & Anaïs Périlleux, 2008. "Corporate governance in microfinance: credit unions," Working Papers CEB 08-003.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001.
"The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1369-1401, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2000. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 7771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, June.
- Honohan, Patrick, 2005. "Measuring microfinance access : building on existing cross-country data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3606, The World Bank.
- Seibel, Hans Dieter, 2003. "History matters in microfinance," Working Papers 2003,5, University of Cologne, Development Research Center.
- Vanroose, Annabel & D'Espallier, Bert, 2009. "Microfinance Institutions' performance and financial sector development," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/388340, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Marek Hudon, 2010. "Management of microfinance institutions: Do subsidies matter?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 890-905.
- Alfiah Hasanah & Arief Anshory Yusuf, 2013. "Determinants of the Establishment of Islamic Micro Finance Institutions: The Case of Baitul Maal wa Tamwil (BMT) in Indonesia," Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) 201308, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Mar 2013.
- Nargiza Maksudova, 2010. "Macroeconomics of Microfinance: How Do the Channels Work?," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp423, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Annabel Vanroose & Bert D’Espallier, 2009. "Microfinance and Financial Sector Development," Working Papers CEB 09-040.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Inoue, Takeshi & Hamori, Shigeyuki, 2011. "Financial permeation as a role of microfinance : has microfinance actually been helpful to the poor?," IDE Discussion Papers 299, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Dlamini, Menzie S., 2012. "The effect of subsidies on the performance and sustainability of microfinance institutions in sub-Saharan Africa," Research Theses 134487, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Arvind Ashta & Marek Hudon, 2009. "To whom should we be fair? Ethical issues in Balancing Stakeholder Interests from Banco Compartamos Case Study," Working Papers CEB 09-036.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.