Education, Vocational Training and R&D: Towards New Forms of Labor Market Regulation
AbstractLabor market regulation and its relations with education and training have been performing an historical trajectory which closely intertwined with developments in economic thought. Under the form of human capital theories, neo-classical economics set the bridge between labor market equilibrium and education outputs for decades. The functionalist approach behind that lasting relationship was to be challenged by economic crises and globalization, which imposed the unquestionable supremacy of the demand for skilled work. Likewise, even if only that more strict perspective of education would prevail, which fortunately is not the case, time and hazard came to undertake its denigration on the grounds of a severe loss of regulatory efficiency as globalization was setting up.In this paper we shed light on the increasing role which innovation is called to perform in labor market hetero regulation in the present phase of globalization. Depending on the institutional design throughout which R&D become embedded in nowadays societies, evidence clearly reveals how innovation strategies are to be found so asymmetrically implemented between developed and developing countries, thereby leading to the enlarging divide between the “new North” and “new South” globalization off springs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Socius, Socio-Economics Research Centre at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG) of the Technical University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers with number wp082011.
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: R. Miguel Lupi, 20, 1249-078 LISBOA
Fax: +351-213 925 850
Web page: http://pascal.iseg.utl.pt/~socius/home.html
More information through EDIRC
labor market regulation; education and training; innovation; knowledge; North-South divide; Portugal;
Other versions of this item:
- Margarida Chagas Lopes, 2011. "Education, Vocational Training And R&D: Towards New Forms Of Labor Market Regulation," Journal of Research in Educational Sciences, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 16-31, June.
- Lopes, Margarida, 2011. "Education, vocational training and R&D: towards new forms of labor market regulation," MPRA Paper 32412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- I24 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Education and Inequality
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-HME-2012-02-27 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-INO-2012-02-27 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2012-02-27 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-LAB-2012-02-27 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-REG-2012-02-27 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thushyanthan Baskaran & Zohal Hessami, 2010.
"Globalization and the Composition of Public Education Expenditures: A Dynamic Panel Analysis,"
Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz
2010-03, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan & Hessami, Zohal, 2010. "Globalization and the Composition of Public Education Expenditures: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," MPRA Paper 25750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hubert Strauss & Christine de la Maisonneuve, 2007. "The Wage Premium on Tertiary Education: New Estimates for 21 OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 589, OECD Publishing.
- Lopes, Margarida & Fernandes, Graca, 2011. "Formal, non-formal and informal learning and higher education graduates' reemployment: evidence for Portugal," MPRA Paper 34445, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chagas Lopes, Margarida, 2011.
"Education, development and knowledge: new forms of unequal change under globalization. The case of SSA countries,"
35352, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Margarida Chagas Lopes, 2011. "Education, Development and Knowledge: new forms of unequal change under globalization. The case of SSA countries," Working Papers wp102011, Socius, Socio-Economics Research Centre at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG) of the Technical University of Lisbon.
- Chagas Lopes, MARGARIDA, 2012. "Education, Development and Knowledge: New Forms of Unequal Change Under Globalization. The Case of SSA Countries," MPRA Paper 55742, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santos, Miguel, 2012.
"Novas Formas de Organização do Trabalho nas Micro e Pequenas Empresas
[New Forms of Work Organization in Micro and Small Enterprises]," MPRA Paper 35700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santos, Miguel, 2011.
"Alomorfismos Nas Empresas E Na Gestão De Recursos Humanos Em Plena Sociedade Informacional
[Allomorphisms in Corporations and in Human Resources Management (HRM)in Informational Society]," MPRA Paper 32309, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mónica Fraga).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.