A comprehensive approach towards academic failure: the case of Mathematics I in ISEG graduation
AbstractDespite the enormous progress in graduation completion rates along the last decade, academic failure in Portuguese Higher Education is still attracting concern. This is particularly true for some 1st. year critical subjects as Mathematics. Most research and analyses on the issue are focused upon either the “academic” or the “non academic” determinants of failure whilst it becomes more and more obvious that the explanation, or at least an important part of it, resides in the interaction between those two sets of features. Having developed previous research on the basis of the former factors to elucidate failure rate in ISEG graduation, we are now analyzing the joint influence of both kind of determinants. For that purpose we rely upon students’ information retrieved from ISEG Pedagogical Observatory Database and the outputs of a Survey on Attitudes Towards Mathematics 1 (SATM 1) which has been especially redesigned and addressed to 1st. year students.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Socius, Socio-Economics Research Centre at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG) of the Technical University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers with number wp062012.
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: R. Miguel Lupi, 20, 1249-078 LISBOA
Fax: +351-213 925 850
Web page: http://pascal.iseg.utl.pt/~socius/home.html
More information through EDIRC
academic failure; Mathematics; objective determinant; attitudes; motivation and expectations;
Other versions of this item:
- Lopes, Margarida & Fernandes, Graça, 2012. "A comprehensive approach towards academic failure: the case of Mathematics I in ISEG graduation," MPRA Paper 42367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education; Research Institutions
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric A. Hanushek, 1979. "Conceptual and Empirical Issues in the Estimation of Educational Production Functions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(3), pages 351-388.
- Philippe Belley & Lance Lochner, 2007.
"The Changing Role of Family Income and Ability in Determining Educational Achievement,"
Journal of Human Capital,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(1), pages 37-89.
- Belley, Phillippe & Lochner, Lance, 2009. "The Changing Role of Family Income and Ability in Determining Educational Achievement," CLSSRN working papers clsrn_admin-2009-9, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 02 Feb 2009.
- Philippe Belley & Lance Lochner, 2007. "The Changing Role of Family Income and Ability in Determining Educational Achievement," NBER Working Papers 13527, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Belley & Lance Lochner, 2007. "The Changing Role of Family Income and Ability in Determining Educational Achievement," Working Papers 2011-037, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Philippe Belley & Lance Lochner, 2008. "The Changing Role of Family Income and Ability in Determining Educational Achievement," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20081, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Siegel, Donald S. & Waldman, David & Link, Albert, 2003. "Assessing the impact of organizational practices on the relative productivity of university technology transfer offices: an exploratory study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 27-48, January.
- Margarida Chagas Lopes & Fernandes Graça Leão, 2010.
"Success/failure in Higher Education: How Long Does it Takes to Complete Some Core 1st. Year Disciplines?,"
Journal of Research in Educational Sciences,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 32-50, June.
- Chaga Lopes, Margarida & Fernandes, Graca, 2010. "Success/Failure in Higher Education:how long does it take to complete some core 1st. year disciplines?," MPRA Paper 21953, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leão Fernandes, Graça & Chagas Lopes, Margarida, 2008. "ISEG Undergraduate Students: Determinants of Academic Performance," MPRA Paper 22082, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vincent Vandenberghe, 2007. "Family Income and Tertiary Education Attendance across the EU: An empirical assessment using sibling data," CASE Papers /123, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Chagas Lopes, Margarida & Medeiros, João, 2004. "School Failure and Intergenerational “Human Capital” Transmission in Portugal," MPRA Paper 26764, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mónica Fraga).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.