The Monetary Theory of Kalecki and Minsky
AbstractThe monetary theory of Kalecki and Minsky is usually placed within the Post-Keynesian tradition, deriving from the monetary analysis of John Maynard Keynes. The paper argues that Kalecki and Minsky shared a common inheritance in Swedish and German monetary theory, rather than the Marshallian tradition. Thus the monetary analysis of Kalecki and Minsky emphasises the endogeneity of money through capitalist reproduction, rather than through the mechanisms connecting central bank money to credit creation in the banking system. This provides the link between the monetary theory of Kalecki and Minsky and modern circuit theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, SOAS, University of London, UK in its series Working Papers with number 172.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Keynes; Kalecki; Minsky; Money;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B30 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - General
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2013-06-16 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2013-06-16 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MON-2013-06-16 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2013-06-16 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bruno Bonizzi, 2013. "Capital Flows to Emerging Markets: An alternative Theoretical Framework," Working Papers, Department of Economics, SOAS, University of London, UK 186, Department of Economics, SOAS, University of London, UK.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duo QIN) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Duo QIN to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.