A Classification Scheme for Characterizing Service Networks
AbstractThis paper introduces an extended definition of service networks. The service network definition, which can be used for classifying service networks, comprises two parts: the service network declaration and the service network specification. The service network specification consists of the specification of the network characteristics, the node characteristics, and the link characteristics. Each of these three characteristics comprises a set of criteria. One fraction of the criteria has been identified through literature research on services, networked organizations, and service network concepts. The remaining fraction of criteria is the result of a case study analysis. The service network case study has been taken from the information technology sector (i.e., the network of Cloud computing services). The analysis of the case study identified characteristics that are important for describing IT service networks but cannot be captured with the existing definitions of service networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP) in its series TEMEP Discussion Papers with number 201286.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2012
Date of revision: Jan 2012
Publication status: Published in Proceedings of Multikonferenz Wirtschaftsinformatik, MKWI 2012.
Classification scheme; service science; Cloud computing; service network; social network; service network evaluation.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D02 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Institutions: Design, Formation, and Operations
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashraf Bany Mohammed & Jorn Altmann & Junseok Hwang, 2010. "Cloud Computing Value Chains Understanding Businesses and Value Creation in the Cloud," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201061, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Jun 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.