Access Regulation and Welfare
AbstractAbstract In a 2006 paper, Graeme Guthrie underlined that “[T]he impact of access price level on investment is not yet fully understood” and that “even less is known about the overall impact on welfare” (Guthrie 2006, p. 965). Although important progress has been made on the former issue, the latter remains largely underinvestigated. This paper contributes to addressing this question by analyzing the optimal access price in different investment games. Our main findings are as follows: 1. When only one firm can invest and when only service-based competition is feasible, the optimal access price is such as the flat part is as high as possible and the variable part equals the marginal cost. 2. The optimal variable part is lower when only service-based competition is possible than when several firms can invest, although there is too much duplication in the latter case. 3. When several firms can invest, the optimal access price is such as the flat part is as high as possible and the variable part is higher than the marginal cost. These results arise because the variable part determines both private incentives to invest and to duplicate and the extent to which investment and duplication are socially desirable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP) in its series TEMEP Discussion Papers with number 201185.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision: Dec 2011
Access regulation; infrastructure investment; welfare.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-01-10 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2012-01-10 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-REG-2012-01-10 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00440126 is not listed on IDEAS
- M. Bourreau & P. Dogan, .
"Unbundling the Local Loop,"
33648, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Foros, Oystein, 2004. "Strategic investments with spillovers, vertical integration and foreclosure in the broadband access market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Kotakorpi, Kaisa, 2006. "Access price regulation, investment and entry in telecommunications," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 1013-1020, September.
- Brito, Duarte & Pereira, Pedro & Vareda, João, 2010.
"Can two-part tariffs promote efficient investment on next generation networks?,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 323-333, May.
- Duarte Brito & Pedro Pereira & João Vareda, 2008. "Can Two-Part Tariffs Promote Efficient Investment on Next Generation Networks?," Working Papers 34, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Graeme Guthrie, 2006. "Regulating Infrastructure: The Impact on Risk and Investment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 925-972, December.
- Hori, Keiichi & Mizuno, Keizo, 2006. "Access pricing and investment with stochastically growing demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 795-808, July.
- Valletti, Tommaso M & Hoernig, Steffen & Barros, Pedro P, 2002.
"Universal Service and Entry: The Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 169-90, March.
- Hoernig, Steffen & Pita Barros, Pedro Luis & Valletti, Tommaso, 2001. "Universal Service and Entry: the Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 2789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cambini, Carlo & Valletti, Tommaso, 2003.
"Investments and Network Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3829, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keiichi Hori & Keizo Mizuno, 2009. "Competition schemes and investment in network infrastructure under uncertainty," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 179-200, April.
- Nitsche, Rainer & Wiethaus, Lars, 2011. "Access regulation and investment in next generation networks -- A ranking of regulatory regimes," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 263-272, March.
- M. Bourreau & P. Dogan & M. Manant, .
"A critical review of the ladder of investment approach,"
33654, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, PInar & Manant, Matthieu, 2010. "A critical review of the "ladder of investment" approach," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 683-696, December.
- Gans, Joshua S, 2001. "Regulating Private Infrastructure Investment: Optimal Pricing for Access to Essential Facilities," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 167-89, September.
- Vareda João & Hoernig Steffen, 2010. "Racing for Investment under Mandatory Access," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-31, July.
- Avenali, Alessandro & Matteucci, Giorgio & Reverberi, Pierfrancesco, 2010. "Dynamic access pricing and investment in alternative infrastructures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 167-175, March.
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jérôme Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2009.
"Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms,"
PSE Working Papers
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jerome Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2011. "Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 677-713, December.
- Jaunaux, Laure & Lebourges, Marc, 2013. "Economic replicability tests for next-generation access networks," 24th European Regional ITS Conference, Florence 2013 88501, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.