Evaluating the Productivity of Researchers and their Communities: The RP-Index and the CP-Index
AbstractWhile the h-Index and the g-Index (as the major indices for quantifying the academic performance of researchers) take into consideration the citation count of publications, some other important indicators of research output (i.e. the number of authors per paper, lead author, year of publication) are omitted. Those indicators have to be considered in order to evaluate the productivity of researchers comprehensively. This paper analyzes the different indicators and proposes two new indices, the RP-Index and the CP-Index. The RP-Index evaluates the productivity of a researcher and the CP-Index evaluates the productivity of a group of researchers. After showing how these new indices can be applied and how they compare to the existing ones, an assessment of the two new indices is given.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP) in its series TEMEP Discussion Papers with number 201048.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision: Jan 2010
Publication status: Published in International Journal of Computer Science and Applications, ISSN:0972-9038, vol.6, no.2, March 2009
h-Index; g-Index; research productivity evaluation; performance evaluation of researchers and groups; citation indices; metrics; empirical data analysis; knowledge creation; and knowledge transfer;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- M12 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Personnel Management; Executives; Executive Compensation
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2010-01-30 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-IPR-2010-01-30 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-SOG-2010-01-30 (Sociology of Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abbasi, Alireza & Altmann, Jörn & Hossain, Liaquat, 2011.
"Identifying the effects of co-authorship networks on the performance of scholars: A correlation and regression analysis of performance measures and social network analysis measures,"
Journal of Informetrics,
Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 594-607.
- Alireza Abbasi & Jorn Altmann & Liaquat Hossain, 2011. "Identifying the Effects of Co-Authorship Networks on the Performance of Scholars: A Correlation and Regression Analysis of Performance Measures and Social Network Analysis Measures," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201176, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Jun 2011.
- Alireza Abbasi & Jorn Altmann, 2010. "On the Correlation between Research Performance and Social Network Analysis Measures Applied to Research Collaboration Networks," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201066, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Oct 2010.
- Alireza Abbasi & Jorn Altmann, 2010. "A Social Network System for Analyzing Publication Activities of Researchers," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201058, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Apr 2010.
- Alireza Abbasi & Jorn Altmann & Junseok Hwang, 2009. "Evaluating Scholars Based on their Academic Collaboration Activities: The RC-Index and CC-Index for Quantifying Collaboration Activities of Researchers and Scientific Communities," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200915, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.