Banking Sector Reform and Interest Rates in Transition Economies: Bank-Level Evidence from Kyrgyzstan
AbstractWe examine the impact of banking sector reforms on interest rates using bank-level data from Kyrgyzstan for 1998-2005. We find that increased confidence in the banking sector has contributed significantly to lowering interest rate levels, while the impact of lower intermediation costs, credit risk, and capital costs are negligible. Our results further suggest that the liberalization of the Kyrgyz financial sector has reduced both deposit and lending rates. Finally, we find that despite considerable restructuring, the Kyrgyz banking sector has not become more competitive. As a consequence, banks' interest rates have not fully responded to lower market rates following macroeconomic stabilization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss National Bank in its series Working Papers with number 2007-07.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Börsenstrasse 15, P. O. Box, CH - 8022 Zürich
Phone: +41 44 631 31 11
Fax: +41 44 631 39 11
Web page: http://www.snb.ch/en/ifor/research/
More information through EDIRC
Transition; Financial Sector Development; Interest Rates;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- P34 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Finance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brown, Martin & Maurer, Maria Rueda & Pak, Tamara & Tynaev, Nurlanbek, 2009. "The impact of banking sector reform in a transition economy: Evidence from Kyrgyzstan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1677-1687, September.
- Martin Brown & Steven Ongena & Pinar Yesin, 2009.
"Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms,"
2009-02, Swiss National Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enzo Rossi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.