ICT Investment and Productivity: A Provincial Perspective
AbstractIn 2008, Statistics Canada, for the first time, made available estimates of information and communication technology (ICT) investment by province. Given the importance of ICT investment for productivity growth, these data are important for the comparative analysis and understanding of productivity growth by province. The objective of this report is to present the basic data on ICT investment and ICT investment per worker in Canada and the ten provinces over the 1981-2007 period. The first part of the report reviews the literature on why ICT investment is important for productivity. The second part examines ICT investment levels and trends by province. The third part decomposes the gap in ICT investment per worker by province, relative to the national average, into three effects: that related to income levels, to the total investment/GDP share, and to the ICT investment/total investment share.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards in its series CSLS Research Reports with number 2008-06.
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- M00 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - General - - - General
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- Z10 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2008-10-13 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ICT-2008-10-13 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-MAC-2008-10-13 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald & Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2003.
"The case of the missing productivity growth: or, does information technology explain why productivity accelerated in the United States but not the United Kingdom?,"
Working Paper Series
WP-03-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald & Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2003. "The Case of the Missing Productivity Growth: Or, Does Information technology explain why productivity accelerated in the United States but not the United Kingdom?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2021, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Hossein Jalilian & Matthew Odedokun, 2000. "Equipment and non-equipment private investment: a generalized Solow model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 289-296.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1997.
"I just ran four million regressions,"
Economics Working Papers
201, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Michael Gort & Jeremy Greenwood & Peter Rupert, 1998.
"Measuring the rate of technological progress in structures,"
9806, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Michael Gort & Jeremy Greenwood & Peter Rupert, 1999. "Measuring the Rate of Technological Progress in Structures," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 207-230, January.
- Gort, M. & Greenwood, J. & Rupert, P., 1998. "Measuring the Rate of Technological Progress in Structures," RCER Working Papers 457, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- J. Bradford DeLong & Lawrence H. Summers, 1992. "Equipment Investment and Economic Growth: How Strong Is the Nexus?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(2), pages 157-212.
- Lee, Jong-Wha, 1995.
"Capital goods imports and long-run growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 91-110, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.