Decomposing the Changes of the Divisia Price Index: Application to Inflation in the Philippines
AbstractWe propose a method to decompose the logarithmic change of the Divisia price index into the pure price effect, the prefernce effect and the substitution effect. Our empirical results in the Philippines shows the effects of preference change on the Divisia price index are heterogeneous but positive across all regions and income deciles. However, they are dominated by the pure price effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Singapore Management University, School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 06-2011.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in SMU Economics and Statistics Working Paper Series
Other versions of this item:
- Tomoki Fujii, 2013. "Decomposing the changes of the Divisia price index: application to inflation in the Philippines," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 545-556.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2011-09-05 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-SEA-2011-09-05 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tomoki Fujii, 2011.
"Impact of food inflation on poverty in the Philippines,"
14-2011, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Fujii, Tomoki, 2013. "Impact of food inflation on poverty in the Philippines," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 13-27.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (QL THor).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.