Improving the Power of Tests of Stochastic Dominance
AbstractWe extend Hansen’s (2005) recentering method to a continuum of inequality constraints to construct new Kolmogorov-Smirnov tests for stochastic dominance of any pre-specified order. We show that our tests have correct size asymptotically, are consistent against fixed alternatives and are unbiased against some N−1/2 local alternatives. It is shown that by avoiding the use of the least favorable configuration, our tests are less conservative and more powerful than Barrett and Donald’s (2003) and in some simulation examples we consider, we find that our test can be more powerful than the subsampling test of Linton, Maasoumi and Whang (2005). We apply our method to test stochastic dominance relations between Canadian income distributions in 1978 and 1986 as considered in Barrett and Donald (2003) and find that some of the hypothesis test results are different using the new method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan in its series IEAS Working Paper : academic research with number 12-A015.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision: May 2013
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.sinica.edu.tw/index.php?foreLang=en
More information through EDIRC
Stochastic dominance; test consistency; simulation; bootstrap; uniform inference;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-12-22 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ORE-2012-12-22 (Operations Research)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Juan-Ángel Jiménez-Martín & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Teodosio Pérez Amaral, 2014. "A Stochastic Dominance Approach to Financial Risk Management Strategies," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 2014-08, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico, revised Apr 2014.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HsiaoyunLiu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.