Efficient management of insecure fossil fuel imports through taxing (!) domestic green energy?
AbstractA small open economy produces a consumer good along with green and black energy and imports fossil fuel for black-energy production at an uncertain world market price. Efficient risk management requires curbing fuel consumption, and hence carbon emissions, when consumers are prudent. Moreover, if consumer preferences display constant absolute risk aversion (implying prudence), an efficient response to increasing risk is promoting green energy and reducing total energy production. Unregulated competitive markets are inefficient when consumers are risk averse. With the plausible assumption of prudent consumers and risk neutral producers, taxing both fossil fuel and green energy restores efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht in its series Volkswirtschaftliche Diskussionsbeiträge with number 138-09.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hölderlinstr. 3, D - 57068 Siegen
Phone: ++49 (0)271 740-3139
Fax: ++49 (0)271 740-2590
Web page: http://www.uni-siegen.de/fb5/vwl/research/diskussionsbeitraege/
More information through EDIRC
Price uncertainty; black energy; green energy; fossil fuel;
Other versions of this item:
- Thomas Eichner & Rüdiger Pethig, 2010. "Efficient Management of Insecure Fossil Fuel Imports through Taxing (!) Domestic Green Energy?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3062, CESifo Group Munich.
- F18 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Environment
- Q42 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Alternative Energy Sources
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2009-09-26 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2009-09-26 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Batra, Raveendra N & Russell, William R, 1974. "Gains from Trade Under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1040-48, December.
- Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 2003. "Preserving preference rankings under background risk," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 337-341, September.
- Fischer, Carolyn & Newell, Richard, 2004.
"Environmental and Technology Policies for Climate Mitigation,"
dp-04-05, Resources For the Future.
- Fischer, Carolyn & Newell, Richard G., 2008. "Environmental and technology policies for climate mitigation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 142-162, March.
- Lars Tyge Nielsen & Fatma Lajeri, 2000.
"Parametric characterizations of risk aversion and prudence,"
Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 469-476.
- Lajeri, Fatma & Nielsen, Lars Tyge, 1997. "Parametric Characterizations of Risk Aversion and Prudence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rüdiger Pethig & Christian Wittlich, 2009.
"Interaction of Carbon Reduction and Green Energy Promotion in a Small Fossil-Fuel Importing Economy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2749, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rüdiger Pethig & Christian Wittlich, 2009. "Interaction of carbon reduction and green energy promotion in a small fossil-fuel importing economy," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 131-09, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Fischer, Carolyn, 2008.
"Emissions pricing, spillovers, and public investment in environmentally friendly technologies,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 487-502, March.
- Fischer, Carolyn, 2004. "Emissions Pricing, Spillovers, and Public Investment in Environmentally Friendly Technologies," Discussion Papers dp-04-02, Resources For the Future.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Ullah, Aman, 1974. "Competitive Firm and the Theory of Input Demand under Price Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 537-48, May/June.
- Cass, David & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "The structure of investor preferences and asset returns, and separability in portfolio allocation: A contribution to the pure theory of mutual funds," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 122-160, June.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Schmitz, Andrew, 1977. "Storage with Price Uncertainty in International Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(3), pages 553-68, October.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1994.
"Income Risk, Borrowing Constraints and Portfolio Choice,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1996. "Income Risk, Borrowing Constraints, and Portfolio Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 158-72, March.
- Lori Bennear & Robert Stavins, 2007. "Second-best theory and the use of multiple policy instruments," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(1), pages 111-129, May.
- Menegatti, Mario, 2001. "On the Conditions for Precautionary Saving," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 189-193, May.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2005:i:1:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Holt, Matthew T, 1996. "Economic Behavior under Uncertainty: A Joint Analysis of Risk Preferences and Technology," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 329-35, May.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Meyer, Jack, 1987. "Two-moment Decision Models and Expected Utility Maximization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 421-30, June.
- Levy, Haim, 1994. "Absolute and Relative Risk Aversion: An Experimental Study," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 289-307, May.
- Andreas Wagener, 2005. "Linear risk tolerance and mean-variance preferences," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(1), pages 1-8.
- Thomas Eichner & Rüdiger Pethig, 2010.
"International Carbon Emissions Trading and Strategic Incentives to Subsidize Green Energy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3083, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thomas Eichner & Rüdiger Pethig, 2010. "International carbon emissions trading and strategic incentives to subsidize green energy," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 142-10, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Marco Runkel & Thomas Eichner, 2010.
"Subsidizing Renewable Energy under Capital Mobility,"
FEMM Working Papers
100020, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Thomas Eichner & Marco Runkel, 2010. "Subsidizing Renewable Energy under Capital Mobility," CESifo Working Paper Series 3185, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Gail).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.