Impact analysis of cotton subsidies on poverty: A CGE macro-accounting approach applied to Mali
AbstractIn this paper, we construct the first country specific CGE model for Mali with a micro-simulation component to analyze the poverty and inequality changes of removing cotton subsidies in developed countries. We used the macro-accounting approach proposed by Chen and Ravallion (2004). This issue has attracted significant attention as is has contributed to stall the broader trade agenda. Research on the issue has been mainly done with partial equilibrium analysis with a few exceptions. We use the first CGE-micro-simulation model to investigate. A 17 sectors CGE model with almost 5000 households is used to demonstrate that removal of subsidies on cotton will contribute to significant decrease in poverty in Mali. Our results show that combining the cotton subsidies removal to other agricultural subsidies does not attenuate the positive effects observed. We also show that the subsidies removal would marginally contribute to decrease inequality in Mali.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 06-04.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
computable general equilibrium model; micro-simulation; poverty analysis; income distribution; agricultural subsidies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-01-29 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2006-01-29 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2006-01-29 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2006-01-29 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Backiny-Yetna, Prospere & Adoho, Franck & Bouare, Issa & Briand, Virginie & Dabitao, Kassim & Gakou, Assa & Sommeiller, Estelle & Traore, Dramane & Tsimpo, Clarence & Wodon, Quentin, 2009.
"Tendance, profil et déterminants de la pauvreté au Mali de 2001 à 2006
[Poverty Trends and Determinants in Mali from 2001 to 2006]," MPRA Paper 27753, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prospère Backiny-Yetna & Franck Adoho & Issa Bouaré & Virginie Briand & Kassim Dabitao & Assa Gakou & Estelle Sommeiller & Dramane Traoré & Clarence Tsimpo & Quentin Wodon, 2009. "Tendance, profil et déterminants de la pauvreté au Mali de 2001 à 2006," Perspective Afrique, Association Africaine pour les Sciences sociales, vol. 4(1-3), pages 1-24.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luc Savard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.