Smooth Minimum Distance Estimation and Testing in Conditional Moment Restrictions Models: Uniform in Bandwidth Theory
AbstractWe propose a new estimation method for models defined by conditional moment restrictions,that minimizes a distance criterion based on kernel smoothing. Whether the bandwidth parameter is fixed or decreases to zero with the sample size, our approach defines a whole class of estimators. We develop a theory that focuses on uniformity in bandwidth. We establish a pn-asymptotic representation of our estimator as a process depending on the bandwidth within a wide range including fixed bandwidths and that applies to misspecified models. We also study an efficient version of our estimator. We develop inference procedures based on a distance metric statistic for testing restrictions on parameters and we propose a new bootstrap technique. Our new methods apply to non-smooth problems, are simple to implement, and perform well in small samples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University in its series Discussion Papers with number dp08-08.
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6, Canada
Web page: http://www.sfu.ca/economics.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Working Paper Coordinator, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6, Canada
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Crudu, Federico & Sándor, Zsolt, 2011. "On the finite-sample properties of conditional empirical likelihood estimators," MPRA Paper 34116, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manuel Dominguez & Ignacio Lobato, 2010. "Consistent Inference in Models Defined by COnditional Moment Restrictions: an Alternative to GMM," Working Papers 1005, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Working Paper Coordinator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.