Antes y después de 1810: escenarios en la historia de las exportaciones rioplatenses de cueros desde 1760 hasta 1860
AbstractThis paper focus on the history of River Plate’s exports of hides from 1760 to 1860, a century that ran from the beginning of the Bourbon reforms in America until the beginning of the “first globalization”. The aim of this paper is to show some basic magnitudes of this crucial commodity in the region’s history of international trade, from the early years as a staple until its maturity. Thus, this work collects from primary and secondary sources data on volume, prices and values of exported hides from Buenos Aires and Montevideo along the period. This evidence is useful to grasp how volumes, prices and values performed before and after the critical year of 1810, when the colonial ties with Spain were broken. The results underline three main facts: first, exports of hides from the Rio de la Plata grew at a high rate before 1810 due to a large increase in volumes and in spite of flat prices. Second, they experienced a much more slowly and fluctuating growth after the independence; in spite of wars and political turmoil, this time volumes exported were even greater than before while prices declined until 1850. Third, export prices of hides notably rise in 1850, and just then they acted as the driving force upon value.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria in its series Documentos de Trabajo de la Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria with number 1110.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
international trade; Latin America; River Plate; hides.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- N16 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- N56 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- N76 - Economic History - - Economic History: Transport, International and Domestic Trade, Energy, and Other Services - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manuel Llorca-Jaña, 2014.
"The impact of early nineteenth-century globalization on foreign trade in the Southern Cone: A study of British trade statistics,"
Investigaciones de Historia Económica (IHE) Journal of the Spanish Economic History Association,
Asociación Española de Historia Económica, vol. 10(01), pages 46-56.
- Manuel Llorca-Jaña, 2012. "The impact of "early" nineteenth-century globalization on foreign trade in the Southern Cone: A study of British trade statistics," Economics Working Papers 1323, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lidón París Folch).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.