Reforming the financial system. The Case of Uzbekistan
AbstractThis work will discuss the major challenges facing transition economies restructuring their financial systems to integrate with world financial markets. Discussion will include the particular development of capital markets. Special attention is paid to the example of the Republic of Uzbekistan; the achievements to date and the challenges to come, including the development of securities markets and factors that will influence this. This work commences with a discussion on the importance of financial development on economic growth. The history of Uzbekistan's financial development is presented to clarify and illustrate the present situation. The work continues by highlighting some of the key decisions faced by the transitional economies and, again using the Uzbekistan situation as an example, the causes and effects of implementing such decisions. The work concludes by focusing on the issues surrounding the development of the capital market in Uzbekistan. The last part of the paper is experimental, concentrating on an investigation into the relationship between foreign exchange regimes and market capitalisation based on a thorough analysis of transition economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research in its series CASE Network Studies and Analyses with number 0234.
Length: 58 Pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Smith, Bruce D., 1997.
"Financial markets in development, and the development of financial markets,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 145-181, January.
- Greenwood, J. & Smith, B.D., 1995. "Financial Markets in Development, and the Development of Financial Markets," RCER Working Papers 406, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- John H. Boyd & Edward C. Prescott, 1985.
87, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert, 2000. "Financial system development in transition economies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 507-524, April.
- Mendelson, Morris & Peake, Junius W., 1993. "Equity markets in economies in transition," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 913-929, September.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1988.
"Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income,"
88-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1990. "Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1076-1107, October.
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1990. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers 9002, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1988. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," RCER Working Papers 131, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Jeremy Greenwood & Boyan Jovanovic, 1989. "Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income," NBER Working Papers 3189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996. "Stock Markets, Corporate Finance, and Economic Growth: An Overview," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 223-39, May.
- A. Iakovlev & Iu. Danilov, 1997. "The Futures Market and the Development of Financial Markets in Russia," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(10), pages 46-63, February.
- Ajit Singh, 1998.
"Financial liberalisation, stockmarkets and economic development,"
Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 8(1), pages 165-182.
- Singh, Ajit, 1997. "Financial Liberalisation, Stockmarkets and Economic Development," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 771-82, May.
- Colin Mayer, 1990. "Financial Systems, Corporate Finance, and Economic Development," NBER Chapters, in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 307-332 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, Ronald W. & Kegels, Chantal, 1998. "Transition Banking: Financial Development of Central and Eastern Europe," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290131.
- Kilcollin, T. Eric & Frankel, Michael E. S., 1993. "Futures and options markets: Their new role in Eastern Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 869-881, September.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Alexandr Akimov & Brian Dollery, 2009. "Financial development policies in Uzbekistan: an analysis of achievements and failures," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 293-318, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarzyna SidÅ‚o).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.