The Costs of VAT: A Review of the Literature
AbstractThis paper reviews the published literature on the definition and measurement of the administrative and compliance costs of taxation, with special reference to VAT (including evasion and fraud) in the European Union.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research in its series CASE Network Reports with number 0106.
Length: 66 Pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Taxation; Subsidies; Revenue;
Other versions of this item:
- Luca Barbone & Richard M. Bird & Jaime Vazquez-Caro, 2012. "The Costs of VAT: A Review of the Literature," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1222, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H26 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Tax Evasion
- M48 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2012-03-28 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2012-03-28 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-IUE-2012-03-28 (Informal & Underground Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2012-03-28 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laura Cavallo & Giuseppe Coco & Mario Martelli, 2009. "Evaluating administrative burdens through SCM: some indications from the Italian experience," series 0023, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Apr 2009.
- Michael Keen, 2007.
"VAT, Tariffs, and Withholding: Border Taxes and Informality in Developing Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
07/174, International Monetary Fund.
- Keen, Michael, 2008. "VAT, tariffs, and withholding: Border taxes and informality in developing countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(10-11), pages 1892-1906, October.
- Bird,Richard & Gendron,Pierre-Pascal, 2007.
"The VAT in Developing and Transitional Countries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521877657, November.
- Smith, S, 2007. "VAT fraud and evasion," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Christian von Soest, 2006. "Measuring the Capability to Raise Revenue Process and Output Dimensions and Their Application to the Zambia Revenue Authority," GIGA Working Paper Series 35, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Hunter, William J & Nelson, Michael A, 1995. " Tax Enforcement: A Public Choice Perspective," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 82(1-2), pages 53-67, January.
- World Bank, 2010. "Integration of Revenue Administration : A Comparative Study of International Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13529.
- Bird, Richard M., 2010.
"Subnational taxation in developing countries : a review of the literature,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5450, The World Bank.
- Richard M. Bird, 2011. "Subnational Taxation In Developing Countries: A Review Of The Literature," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 2(01), pages 139-161.
- Agha, Ali & Haughton, Jonathan, 1996. "Designing VAT Systems: Some Efficiency Considerations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 303-08, May.
- Edward Christie & Mario Holzner, 2006. "What Explains Tax Evasion? An Empirical Assessment based on European Data," wiiw Working Papers 40, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- �ureo de Paula & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2010.
"Value-Added Taxes, Chain Effects, and Informality,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 195-221, October.
- James, Simon & Edwards, Alison, 2010. "An annotated bibliography of tax compliance and tax compliance costs," MPRA Paper 26106, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cedric Sandford, 1981. "Book Review: Costs and Benefits of VAT," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 2(2), pages 61-62, July.
- Bird, Richard M. & Martinez-Vazquez, Jorge & Torgler, Benno, 2008. "Tax Effort in Developing Countries and High Income Countries: The Impact of Corruption, Voice and Accountability," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 38(1), pages 55-71, March.
- Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Pritchett, Lant, 2011. "How business is done and the'doing business'indicators : the investment climate when firms have climate control," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5563, The World Bank.
- Chote, R. & Emmerson, C. & Leicester, A. & Miles, D., 2007. "The IFS Green Budget: January 2007," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Finn R. FÃ¸rsund & Sverre A.C. Kittelsen & Frode Lindseth & Dag Fjeld Edvardsen, 2006. "The Tax Man Cometh - But is he Efficient?," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 197(1), pages 106-119, January.
- Stephen C. Smith & Michael Keen, 2007. "VAT Fraud and Evasion: What Do We Know, and What Can be Done?," IMF Working Papers 07/31, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarzyna SidÅ‚o).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.