The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Education and Healthcare in the Economies of the Former Soviet Union – the Case of Moldova
AbstractThis study reviews the impact of the global financial crisis on public service delivery in the Republic of Moldova. It provides a background of the country’s development in the period prior to the crisis (2000 to 2007/2008) and presents the factors which determined the country’s fiscal performance during the crisis (2008-2010). The main aim of the study is to describe the changes in education and health financing and the associated changes in service delivery during the crisis. The presentation of the reforms in the social sector is necessary to set the stage for discussion and is not a primary goal of this study. In particular, the study analyzes the size and dynamics of public financing of education and healthcare and their intra-sector structure, as well as crisis management. It measures the impact the financial crisis had on the quality and reliability of public services and analyzes policy measures undertaken by the government to mitigate crisis’ impact. Conclusions and recommendations derived from the study should enable national policy-makers and international institutions supporting public finance reforms to improve the targeting of limited public resources both between and within individual sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research in its series CASE Network Reports with number 0099.
Length: 86 Pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Economic Crisis; Economic Development; Fiscal Policy; Education; Healthcare;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- I15 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health and Economic Development
- I25 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Education and Economic Development
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-07-27 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-HEA-2011-07-27 (Health Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-07-27 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarzyna SidÅ‚o).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.