Causal links between trade, foreign direct investment and economic growth for Bangladesh
AbstractThis study investigates empirically the causal relationship between trade, foreign direct investment (FDI) and economic growth of Bangladesh for the period of 1973 to 2008. To analyze this Johansen cointegration test and Granger causality test are used. The cointegration analysis suggests that there is a long run equilibrium relationship among the variables. The results of Granger causality test identifies that there is a causal relationship among the mentioned variables. According to the study, economic growth of Bangladesh leads both FDI and export growth and there is a unidirectional causal relationship between FDI and export with direction from export to FDI.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by South Dakota State University, Department of Economics in its series SDSU Working Papers in Progress with number 12012.
Length: 6 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2012
Date of revision:
gross domestic product; foreign direct investment; export; Johansen cointegration test and Granger causality;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2012-01-25 (Development)
- NEP-FDG-2012-01-25 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-INT-2012-01-25 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Esfahani, Hadi Salehi, 1991. "Exports, imports, and economic growth in semi-industrialized countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 93-116, January.
- Ozturk, Ilhan & Kalyoncu, Huseyin, 2007.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: An Empiricial Investigation Based on Cross-Country Comparison,"
9636, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ozturk, Ilhan & Kalyoncu, Huseyin, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: An Empirical Investigation based on Cross-Country Comparison," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 60(1), pages 75-81.
- Nguyen Thanh Xuan & Yuqing Xing, 2006. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exports: the Experiences of Vietnam," Working Papers EMS_2006_13, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Kalirajan, Kaliappa & Miankhel, Adil & Thangavelu, Shandre, 2009. "Foreign direct investment, exports, and economic growth in selected emerging countries: Multivariate VAR analysis," MPRA Paper 22763, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karimi, Mohammad Sharif & Yusop, Zulkornain, 2009. "FDI and Economic Growth in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 14999, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Chow, Peter C. Y., 1987. "Causality between export growth and industrial development : Empirial evidence from the NICs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 55-63, June.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Chandana Chakraborty & Parantap Basu, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and growth in India: a cointegration approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 1061-1073.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.