Did the Voluntary Price Reporting System Fail to Provide Price Transparency in the Cash Market for Dressed Steers: Evidence from South Dakota
AbstractThe information value of the former USDA voluntary price reporting system is investigated for dressed weight slaughter steers. The ability of the former system to promote market transparency and price discovery in the cash market is evaluated with state level mandatory price reporting data collected from September 1999 to April 2001. The empirical framework evaluates the informational value of public price reports according to the criteria established in the market integration literature. The empirical results indicate that in the cash market for dressed weight steers, in South Dakota and Nebraska the former voluntary price reporting system did foster market transparency and aided in the price discovery process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by South Dakota State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 030001.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2003
Date of revision:
grid pricing; price discovery; price reporting;
Other versions of this item:
- Fausti, Scott W. & Diersen, Matthew A., 2003. "Did The Voluntary Price Reporting System Fail To Provide Price Transparency In The Cash Market For Dressed Steers: Evidence From South Dakota," 2003 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 2003, Denver, Colorado 35971, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McNew, Kevin & Fackler, Paul L., 1997. "Testing Market Equilibrium: Is Cointegration Informative?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Cheryl J. Wachenheim & Eric A. DeVuyst, 2001. "Strategic response to mandatory reporting legislation in the U.S. livestock and meat industries: Are collusive opportunities enhanced?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 177-195.
- Christopher B. Barrett & Jau Rong Li, 2002. "Distinguishing between Equilibrium and Integration in Spatial Price Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 292-307.
- Lawrence, John D. & Shaffer, John A. & Hayenga, Marvin L., 1996. "Valuing Public Price Reporting: The Iowa Experience," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 14(1).
- Anderson, John D. & Ward, Clement E. & Koontz, Stephen R. & Peel, Derrell S. & Trapp, James N., 1998. "Experimental Simulation Of Public Information Impacts On Price Discovery And Marketing Efficiency In The Fed Cattle Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Azzeddine Azzam, 2003. "Market Transparency and Market Structure: The Livestock Mandatory Reporting Act of 1999," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 387-395.
- Bastian, Christopher T. & Koontz, Stephen R. & Menkhaus, Dale J., 2001. "Will Mandatory Price Reporting Improve Pricing And Production Efficiency In An Experimental Market For Fed Cattle?," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18969, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Savin, N Eugene & White, Kenneth J, 1978. "Testing for Autocorrelation with Missing Observations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 59-67, January.
- Lawrence, John D. & Shafer, John & Hayenga, Marvin L., 1996. "Valuing Public Price Reporting: The Iowa Experience," Staff General Research Papers 5148, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.