Applications of Kernel Methods in Financial Risk Management
AbstractSince their introduction Kernel Methods have proven their superior performance in many different application areas. Recently these algorithms have also been employed for different tasks in the area of finance. In this contribution we present an introduction to the methodology and give an overview of successful applications in finance. Subsequently two promising areas for the use of these advanced statistical learning methods are introduced, namely integrated risk management and parameter estimation in the Basel II capital accord context. Integrated risk management is concerned with the simultaneous consideration of the major sources of risk and return for todayâ€™s financial institutions. While risk measurement is typically still performed using isolated and substantially different quantitative models per risk category, we describe a novel approach based on Support Vector Machines (SVMs). Through training the SVM learns the implicit relation between different risk types. The Loss Given Default (LGD) represents a parameter to be estimated by banks when using internal rating based approaches within their Basel II implementation. Real-world applications indicate that linear relations between the input values may fail to describe the parameter output. We have used SVMs with varying kernels and obtained rather reliable estimates for the LGD compared to standard methods
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 with number 317.
Date of creation: 04 Jul 2006
Date of revision:
financial risk management; Basel II; parameter estimation; kernel methods; support vector machines;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C45 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Neural Networks and Related Topics
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.