Combining microsimulation and CGE models: Effects on equality of VAT reforms
AbstractMicrosimulation models are apt to be the preferred instrument when applied, equality analyses of tax reforms in specific economies are undertaken. However, most of these models ignore general equilibrium effects, like changes in prices, and may therefore miss valuable information because of their partial nature. In this paper we combine a microsimulation model and a CGE model through feeding of CGE results on producer prices, pre-tax nominal incomes, wealth and transfers into the microsimulation model. The two main reforms studied are substitution of a uniform VAT rate on all goods and services (called the general VAT reform) and substitution of the non-uniform Norwegian VAT reform of 2001 (called the political VAT reform) for the previous, differentiated system. We find that the degree of equality is clearly increased with the political VAT reform and unchanged with the general VAT reform. Comparing these results with the case where CGE effects are not taken into account, i.e. a "traditional" microsimulation analysis, we find that equality is still increased with the political VAT reform while equality is now also increased with the general VAT reform instead of being unchanged
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 with number 132.
Date of creation: 04 Jul 2006
Date of revision:
micro-macro links; indirect taxation; VAT reforms; Equality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-15 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bye, Brita & Avitsland, Turid, 2003. "The welfare effects of housing taxation in a distorted economy: a general equilibrium analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 895-921, September.
- Rolf Aaberge & Ugo Colombino & Erling Holmøy & Birger Strøm & Tom Wennemo, 2004.
"Population ageing and fiscal sustainability: An integrated micro-macro analysis of required tax changes,"
367, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Rolf Aaberge & Ugo Colombino & Erling Holmøy & Birger Strøm & Tom Wennemo, 2004. "Population ageing and fiscal sustainability: An integrated micro-macro analysis of required tax changes," CHILD Working Papers wp06_04, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521266550, December.
- François Bourguignon & Anne-Sophie Robilliard & Sherman Robinson, 2003.
"Representative versus real households in the macro-economic modeling of inequality,"
DELTA Working Papers
2003-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Sherman, Robinson & Robilliard, Anne-Sophie & Bourguignon, François, 2005. "Representative versus real households in the macro-economic modelling of inequality," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4535, Paris Dauphine University.
- François Bourguignon & Anne-Sophie Robilliard & Sherman Robinson, 2003. "Representative versus real households in the macro-economic modeling of inequality," Working Papers DT/2003/10, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Bye, Brita, 2000. "Environmental Tax Reform and Producer Foresight: An Intertemporal Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 719-752, November.
- Taran Fæhn & Erling Holmøy, 1999. "Welfare Effects of Trade Liberalisation in Distorted Economies A Dynamic General Equilibrium Assessment for Norway," Discussion Papers 251, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Luc Savard, 2005.
"Poverty and Inequality Analysis within a CGE Framework: A Comparative Analysis of the Representative Agent and Microsimulation Approaches,"
Development Policy Review,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(3), pages 313-331, 05.
- Davies, James B & St-Hilaire, France & Whalley, John, 1984. "Some Calculations of Lifetime Tax Incidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 633-49, September.
- Aasness, Jorgen & Bye, Torstein & Mysen, Hans Terje, 1996.
"Welfare effects of emission taxes in Norway,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 335-346, October.
- Sen, Amartya, 1974. "Informational bases of alternative welfare approaches : Aggregation and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-403, November.
- Aaberge, Rolf, 2001. "Axiomatic Characterization of the Gini Coefficient and Lorenz Curve Orderings," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 115-132, November.
- Essama-Nssah, B., 2005. "The poverty and distributional impact of macroeconomic shocks and policies : a review of modeling approaches," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3682, The World Bank.
- Bojer, Hilde, 1977. "The effect on consumption of household size and composition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 169-193.
- Nelson, Julie A, 1993. "Household Equivalence Scales: Theory versus Policy?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(3), pages 471-93, July.
- Tor Jakob Klette, 1994. "Estimating Price- Cost Margins and Scale Economies from a Panel of Microdata," Discussion Papers 130, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Davies, James B., 2004. "Microsimulation, CGE and Macro Modelling for Transition and Developing Economies," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Atkinson, A B, 1992. "Measuring Poverty and Differences in Family Composition," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 59(233), pages 1-16, February.
- Aasness,J. & Fjaerli,E. & Gravningsmyhr,H.A. & Kleive Holmoy,A.M. & Lian,B., 1995. "The Norwegian Microsimulation Model Lotte:Applications to Personal and Corporate Taxes and Social Security Benefits," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9533, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.