Macroeconomic fluctuations and firm entry: theory and evidence
AbstractThis paper studies the behaviour of firm entry and exit in response to macroeconomic shocks. We formulate a dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model with an endogenous number of producers. From the calibrated model, we derive a minimum set of robust sign restrictions to identify four kinds of macroeconomic shocks in a vector autoregression, namely supply, demand, monetary and entry cost shocks. The variables entering the VAR are output, inflation, the nominal interest rate, profits and firm entry. The response of firm entry to the various shocks is freely estimated. Our main finding is that entry responds significantly to all types of shocks. The results also show a crowding-in of firm entry following an exogenous rise in demand, consistent with the effect of a consumption preference shock predicted by the model
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 with number 112.
Date of creation: 04 Jul 2006
Date of revision:
firm entry; VAR; sign restrictions;
Other versions of this item:
- Vivien Lewis, 2006. "Macroeconomic fluctuations and firm entry : theory and evidence," Working Paper Research 103, National Bank of Belgium.
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Florin O. Bilbiie & Fabio Ghironi & Marc J. Melitz, 2008.
"Monetary Policy and Business Cycles with Endogenous Entry and Product Variety,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2007, Volume 22, pages 299-353
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Florin O. Bilbiie & Fabio Ghironi & Marc J. Melitz, 2007. "Monetary Policy and Business Cycles with Endogenous Entry and Product Variety," NBER Working Papers 13199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pedro Rui Mazeda Gil, 2008.
"Stylized Facts and Other Empirical Evidence on Firm Dynamics, Business Cycle and Growth,"
FEP Working Papers
276, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Gil, Pedro Mazeda, 2010. "Stylised facts and other empirical evidence on firm dynamics, business cycle and growth," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 73-80, June.
- Lilia Cavallari, 2009.
"Export And Foreign Direct Investments In An Endogenous-Entry Model With Real And Nominal Uncertainty,"
0209, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised 2009.
- Cavallari, Lilia, 2010. "Exports and foreign direct investments in an endogenous-entry model with real and nominal uncertainty," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 300-313, March.
- L. Cavallari, 2009. "Exports and foreign direct investments in an endogenous-entry model with real and nominal uncertaint," Working Papers Prin 002, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Bilbiie, Florin Ovidiu & Ghironi, Fabio & Melitz, Marc J, 2011.
"Endogenous Entry, Product Variety, and Business Cycles,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8564, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Florin O. Bilbiie & Fabio Ghironi & Marc J. Melitz, 2012. "Endogenous Entry, Product Variety, and Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(2), pages 304 - 345.
- Bilbiie, Florin O. & Ghironi, Fabio & Melitz, Marc J., 2012. "Endogenous Entry, Product Variety, and Business Cycles," Scholarly Articles 10914281, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Florin Bilbiie & Fabio Ghironi & Marc J. Melitz, 2007. "Endogenous Entry, Product Variety, and Business Cycles," NBER Working Papers 13646, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Florin Bilbiie & Fabio Ghironi & Marc Melitz, 2012. "Endogenous Entry, Product Variety and Business Cycles," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00680634, HAL.
- Viktors Stebunovs & Fabio Ghironi, 2008. "The Domestic and International Effects of Financial Deregulation," 2008 Meeting Papers 676, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bergin, Paul R. & Corsetti, Giancarlo, 2008. "The extensive margin and monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 1222-1237, October.
- Lenno Uusküla, 2008. "Liquidity and productivity shocks: A look at sectoral firm creation," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2008-05, Bank of Estonia, revised 30 Oct 2008.
- Lenno Uuskyla, 2007. "Firm entry and liquidity," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2007-06, Bank of Estonia, revised 26 Aug 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.