Real Interest Rates and Real Exchange Rates : Evidence from Indexed Bonds
AbstractUncovered interest parity combined with mean reversion in real exchange rates implies a positive correlation between the real interest rate differential and the level of the real exchange rate. Previous empirical work that has attempted to test for this relationship has found little empirical support. In this paper we show that empirical tests are sensitive to measures of inflationary expectations and the real interest rate. If we employ measures of inflationary expectations and real interest rates from indexed bonds, we find that there is a significant positive correlation between real interest rates and the real exchange rate. We also show that this correlation disappears when we use the types of proxies that previous researchers have relied upon to measure inflationary expectations.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 with number 942.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 1999
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Michael Bleaney & Douglas Laxton, 2003. "Real Interest Rates And Real Exchange Rates: Evidence From Indexed Bonds," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 71(1), pages 65-77, January.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bhagwan Chowdhry & Richard Roll & Yihong Xia, 2005.
"Extracting Inflation from Stock Returns to Test Purchasing Power Parity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 255-276, March.
- Chowdhry, Bhagwan & Roll, Richard & Xia, Yihong, 2003. "Extracting Inflation from Stock Returns to Test Purchasing Power Parity," Working Papers 03-1, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Chowdhry, Bhagwan & Roll, Richard & Xia, Yihong, 2004. "Extracting Inflation from Stock Returns to Test Purchasing Power Parity," Working Papers 04-2, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Guy Meredith & Yue Ma, 2002. "The Forward Premium Puzzle Revisited," IMF Working Papers 02/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Papa M'B. P. N'Diaye & Douglas Laxton, 2002. "Monetary Policy Credibility and the Unemployment-Inflation Tradeoff: Some Evidence from 17 Industrial Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/220, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.