Finding an Example of an Optimising Agent with Cyclical Behaviour
AbstractMost recent studies of dynamic macroeconomic relationships focus on models derived from optimising behaviour by economic agents. In most of these models, the eigenvalues of the associated dynamical system are real-valued and so the time-path of the system exhibits monotonic or near-monotonic behaviour. While, it is well-known that linear dynamic models with complex-valued eigenvalues exhibit the property of oscillatory dynamic behaviour, limited research has been undertaken to investigate the properties of optimising models with oscillatory behaviour. In this study, we will focus on producing an example of an optimising agent whose dynamics are characterised by complex-valued eigenvalues and who thus exhibits cyclical behaviour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 with number 4.
Date of creation: 11 Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- E27 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 2000. "Methods of Macroeconomic Dynamics, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262201232, January.
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992.
"Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521331586, December.
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992. "Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521337465, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.