Over the Top: U.K. World War I Finance and Its Aftermath
AbstractWe argue that the fiscal policies adopted early in World War I by the U.K. were responsible for its poor economic performance during the interwar period. In September 1915, the U.K. embarked on a set of non-tax-smoothing policies collectively known as the McKenna rule. The key dictum of the McKenna rule was to raise tax rates on labor and capital income in response to contemporaneous movements in government spending. The greater reliance on income taxation produced distortions in household and firm decision making that have not previously been studied. We construct and calibrate a real business cycle model to assess quantitatively the impact of the McKenna rule. The model generates paths for aggregate variables that resembles actual U.K. economic activity from 1916 onward
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 with number 22.
Date of creation: 11 Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Fiscal Policy; War Finance; Tax Smoothing; Economic Growth.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- James M Nason & Shaun P Vahey, 2007.
"The McKenna Rule and UK World War I Finance,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2007/08, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.