Fading Memory Learning in the Cobweb Model with Risk Averse Heterogeneous Producers
AbstractThis paper studies the dynamics of the traditional cobweb model with risk averse heterogeneous producers who seek to learn the distribution of asset prices using a geometric decay processes (GDP) - the expected mean and variance are estimated as a geometric weighted average of past observations - with either finite or infinite fading memory. With constant absolute risk aversion, the dynamics of the model can be characterized with respect to the length of memory window and the memory decay rate of the learning GPD. The dynamics of such heterogeneous learning processes and capability of producers' learning are discussed. It is found that the learning memory decay rate of the GDP of heterogeneous producers plays a complicated role on the pricing dynamics of the nonlinear cobweb model. In general, an increase of the memory decay rate plays stabilizing role on the local stability of the steady state price when the memory is infinite, but this role becomes less clear when the memory is finite. It shows a double edged effect of the heterogeneity on the dynamics. It is shown that (quasi)periodic solutions and strange (or even chaotic) attractors can be created through Neimark-Hopf bifurcation when the memory is infinite and through flip bifucation as well when the memory is finite.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 with number 31.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Fading Memory Learning; Heterogeneity; Cobweb;
Other versions of this item:
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He & Peiyuan Zhu, 2003. "Fading Memory Learning in the Cobweb Model with Risk Averse Heterogeneous Producers," Research Paper Series 108, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boussard, Jean-Marc, 1996. "When risk generates chaos," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 433-446, May.
- Brock, W.A. & Hommes, C.H., 1996.
"A Rational Route to Randomness,"
9530r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Artstein, Zvi, 1983. "Irregular cobweb dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 15-17.
- Day, R H, 1992. "Complex Economic Dynamics: Obvious in History, Generic in Theory, Elusive in Data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S9-23, Suppl. De.
- Barucci, Emilio, 2000. "Exponentially fading memory learning in forward-looking economic models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-7), pages 1027-1046, June.
- Chiarella, Carl, 1988. "The cobweb model: Its instability and the onset of chaos," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 377-384, October.
- Hommes, Cars H., 1994. "Dynamics of the cobweb model with adaptive expectations and nonlinear supply and demand," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 315-335, August.
- Evans George W. & Honkapohja Seppo, 1994. "On the Local Stability of Sunspot Equilibria under Adaptive Learning Rules," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 142-161, October.
- Holmes, James M. & Manning, Richard, 1988. "Memory and market stability : The case of the cobweb," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-7.
- Chiarella, Carl & He, Xue-Zhong, 2003.
"Dynamics of beliefs and learning under aL-processes -- the heterogeneous case,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 503-531, January.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2001. "Dynamics of Beliefs and Learning Under aL Processes - The Heterogeneous Case," Research Paper Series 55, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Hommes, Cars H., 1998. "On the consistency of backward-looking expectations: The case of the cobweb," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 333-362, January.
- Hommes, Cars H., 1991. "Adaptive learning and roads to chaos : The case of the cobweb," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 127-132, June.
- M. Burton, 1993. "Some Illustrations Of Chaos In Commodity Models," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 38-50.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 1999. "The Dynamics of the Cobweb when Producers are Risk Averse Learners," Working Paper Series 90, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Evans, George W. & Honkapohja, Seppo, 1999. "Learning dynamics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 449-542 Elsevier.
- Bray, Margaret, 1982. "Learning, estimation, and the stability of rational expectations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 318-339, April.
- Onozaki, Tamotsu & Sieg, Gernot & Yokoo, Masanori, 2000. "Complex dynamics in a cobweb model with adaptive production adjustment," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 101-115, February.
- Barucci, Emilio, 2001. "Fading memory learning in a class of forward-looking models with an application to hyperinflation dynamics," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 233-252, April.
- Branch, William A., 2002. "Local convergence properties of a cobweb model with rationally heterogeneous expectations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 63-85, November.
- Miroslav Verbic, 2008. "On the Role of Memory in an Asset Pricing Model with Heterogeneous Beliefs," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 32(2), pages 195-229.
- Chiarella, Carl & He, Xue-Zhong & Hung, Hing & Zhu, Peiyuan, 2006. "An analysis of the cobweb model with boundedly rational heterogeneous producers," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 750-768, December.
- Verbic, Miroslav, 2006. "Memory and Asset Pricing Models with Heterogeneous Beliefs," MPRA Paper 1261, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Domenico Colucci & Vincenzo Valori, 2004. "Generalised Fading Memory Learning in a Cobweb Model: some evidence," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 272, Society for Computational Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.