Learning Dynamics in an Artificial Currency Market
AbstractThis paper considers the behavior of the exchange rate in a very simple artificial currency market with two currencies and artificial agents who evolve their forecast rules over time via a genetic algorithm. I consider two simple forecast rules, one linear and the other non-linear. Under the first rule, learning tends to be rapid and complete. Under the second, learning can generate persistent exchange rate dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 with number 31.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/conference/SCE2001/SCE2001.html
More information through EDIRC
Learning; Genetic Algorithm; Currency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-EVO-2001-05-02 (Evolutionary Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2001-05-02 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2001-05-02 (International Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfarano, Simone & Lux, Thomas, 2006.
"A minimal noise trader model with realistic time series properties,"
Economics Working Papers
2006,11, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Alfarano, Simone & Lux, Thomas, 2003. "A minimal noise trader model with realistic time series properties," Economics Working Papers 2003,15, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.