Patterns of Trade between Countries with Differing Age Compositions of Populations: An Overlapping Generations General Equilibrium Analysis
AbstractThis paper considers a two-country world where the population in one country grows faster than the other, and investigates the effects of resulting age composition differences across countries on international trade flows under alternative simulation scenarios, using an overlapping-generations general equilibrium model. The differing age compositions of populations are shown to give rise to differentials in wage rates and rentals for capital under autarky conditions. This, in turn, causes costs of production and relative prices to differ, creating the grounds for trade. After exploring the patterns of trade between the country with the relatively young and faster-growing population and the low-population growth country experiencing population aging, the paper discusses the implications of simulation results for trade between such young-population countries as Mexico and Turkey and their regional partners within NAFTA and the EU, where population aging has long set in.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 with number 252.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/conference/SCE2001/SCE2001.html
More information through EDIRC
Trade; Economics of aging; simulation; Overlapping generations;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- J10 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - General
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Serdar Sayan, 2002.
"Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Results from a 2x2x2x2 Overlapping Generations Model with Unequal Population Growth Rates,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
0203002, EconWPA, revised 14 Mar 2002.
- Serdar Sayan, 2002. "Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Results from a 2x2x2x2 Overlapping Generations Model with Unequal Population Growth Rates," Departmental Working Papers 0201, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.