Nonparametric Likelihood Methods for Estimation and Inference in Moment Condition Models with Weak Instruments
AbstractIn this paper, I examine the properties of the class of generalized empirical likelihood estimators of moment-condition models. These nonparametric likelihood estimators satisfy exactly the moment conditions and automatically remove any bias due to a lack of centering. Moreover, the bias of the empirical likelihood estimator has been found (Newey and Smith (2000)) to be the same as that for the infeasible optimal GMM, where the coefficients of the optimal linear combinations do not have to be estimated. I examine the finite sample properties of these alternative estimators in the presence of weakly identified parameters and show their robustness. Most importantly, the proposed inference procedure does not involve explicit estimation of the variance-covariance matrix, which can be problematic, especially in small samples with dependent data. The confidence sets for the parameters of interest are constructed by inverting the criterion test, whose limiting chi-square distribution at the true values of the parameters is preserved in the presence of weak instruments.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 with number 150.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/conference/SCE2001/SCE2001.html
More information through EDIRC
empirical likelihood; moment conditions; GMM; weak instruments;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.