An Exact Test For The Choice Of The Combination Of First Differences And Percentage Changes In Linear Models
AbstractEconometric models are often formulated in terms of the first difference or the percentage change, both of which may be generalized by the Box-Cox difference transformation. Unfortunately, economic theory typically provides little guidance to the proper functional forms appropriate to the specification of the economic relationships. The choice of suitable functional forms thus relies heavily upon established statistical procedures. Existing procedures adopt primarily the classical likelihood approach and mainly confine to a single transformation parameter only, thus seriously limiting the use of more appropriate models. When multi-parameter transformation is allowed, these procedures would require to search over a multidimensional grid of values, rendering them extremely expensive, if not impossible, to find the optimal solution.We have derived an exact test for the parameter vector of transformation in linear models. By utilizing Taylor series approximations this reduces to a choice between two regression equations. The test statistic which has an exact F-distribution can be easily calculated from these two regression equations by least squares estimation, which algorithm is available from the very handy to the sophisticated statistical packages. It is therefore a simple and ready statistical procedure for assessing the suitable choice of the functional forms of the variables, thereby allowing more flexible and appropriate economic relations be formulated and their validity be tested.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 with number 31.
Date of creation: 05 Jul 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CEF 2000, Departament d'Economia i Empresa, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Ramon Trias Fargas, 25,27, 08005, Barcelona, Spain
Fax: +34 93 542 17 46
Web page: http://enginy.upf.es/SCE/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layson, Stephen K & Seaks, Terry G, 1984. "Estimation and Testing for Functional Form in First Difference Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 338-43, May.
- R. W. Hafer & Scott E. Hein, 1980. "The dynamics and estimation of short-run money demand," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 26-35.
- Thornton, James R & Agnello, Richard J & Link, Charles R, 1978. "Poverty and Economic Growth: Trickle Down Peters Out," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(3), pages 385-94, July.
- Leonall C. Andersen & Keith M. Carlson, 1970. "A monetarist model for economic stabilization," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Apr, pages 7-25.
- Colclough, William G. & Lange, Mark D., 1982. "Empirical evidence of causality from consumer to wholesale prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 379-384, August.
- Seaks, Terry G & Vines, Donna P, 1990. "A Monte Carlo Evaluation of the Box-Cox Difference Transformation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 506-10, August.
- Godfrey, Lesley G & Wickens, Michael R, 1981. "Testing Linear and Log-Linear Regressions for Functional Form," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 487-96, July.
- Coulson, N Edward & Robins, Russell P, 1985. "A Comment on the Testing of Functional Form in First Difference Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(4), pages 710-12, November.
- Park, Timothy, 1991. "Double Length Regressions for Testing the Box-Cox Difference Transformation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 181-85, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.