Risk Neutral Forecasting
AbstractAny mapping that has the same sign as the conditional mean of returns is a risk neutral investor's best predictor so it may be difficult to estimate the conditional mean yet easy to estimate a `risk neutral best predictor'. An asymptotically consistent estimator for risk neutral best predictors is proposed and is characterised both analytically and using simulations. Our results suggest that there are broad circumstances in which an investor should prefer forecasts based on this estimator to those generated by maximum likelihood estimation of the conditional mean. To facilitate the estimator's computation, a tailor-made algorithm is proposed and its properties are investigated.The decision problem we choose to focus on leads to the development of statistical and computational methods which can be applied to the estimation of `investment rules' and of `economically valuable' forecasting models.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 with number 117.
Date of creation: 05 Jul 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CEF 2000, Departament d'Economia i Empresa, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Ramon Trias Fargas, 25,27, 08005, Barcelona, Spain
Fax: +34 93 542 17 46
Web page: http://enginy.upf.es/SCE/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fong, Wai Mun & Yong, Lawrence H. M., 2005. "Chasing trends: recursive moving average trading rules and internet stocks," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 43-76, January.
- Dewachter, Hans & Lyrio, Marco, 2006. "The cost of technical trading rules in the Forex market: A utility-based evaluation," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1072-1089, November.
- Skouras, Spyros, 2003. "An algorithm for computing estimators that optimize step functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 349-361, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.