Generic Determinacy and Money Non-Neutrality of International Monetary Equilibria
AbstractI address the issue of the 'number' of International Monetary Equilibria that the international finance model of Geanakoplos and Tsomocos (2002) possesses. The mainstream competitive model has locally unique equilibria with respect to the real side of the economy; however, it manifests nominal indeterminacy. Kareken and Wallace (1981) extend the O.L.G. indeterminacy result to a monetary model of the international economy. However, the role of monetary sector together with the market and agent heterogeneity remove real and nominal indeterminacy in the Geanakoplos and Tsomocos model. In particular, nominal indeterminacy abruptly disappears when private liquid wealth is non-zero. Finally, monetary policy becomes non-neutral since monetary changes affect nominal variables which in turn determine different real allocations. Lucas did not find these non-neutral effects in his model of international finance because he postulated a 'sell-all model' in which every agent sells everything he owns in every period. Thus, the number of transactions remain unaffected by definition regardless of any policy changes. Instead, when transactions emerge endogenously in equilibrium monetary policy has non-neutral effects provided that there exist potential gains to trade at the initial allocation of goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oxford Financial Research Centre in its series OFRC Working Papers Series with number 2006fe07.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Determinacy; exchange rates; liquid wealth; non-neutrality; monetary policy;
Other versions of this item:
- Tsomocos, Dimitrios P., 2008. "Generic determinacy and money non-neutrality of international monetary equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 866-887, July.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos, 2006. "Generic Determinacy and Money Non-Neutrality of International Monetary Equilibria," Economics Series Working Papers 2006-FE-07, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Debreu, Gerard, 1970.
"Economies with a Finite Set of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 387-92, May.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr & Stokey, Nancy L, 1987.
"Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 491-513, May.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1984. "Money and Interest in Cash-In-Advance Economy," Discussion Papers 628, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1987. "Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," NBER Working Papers 1618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Geanakoplos, John, 2003. "Monetary equilibrium with missing markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 585-618, July.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2003. "Monetary Equilibrium with Missing Markets," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1389, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1982. "Interest rates and currency prices in a two-country world," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 335-359.
- Dimitrios P. Tsomocos & Martin Shubik, 2002.
"A strategic market game with seigniorage costs of Fiat money,"
Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 187-201.
- Martin Shubik & D.P. Tsomocos, 1993. "A Strategic Market Game with Seigniorage Costs of Fiat Money," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1043, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Geanakoplos, John & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989.
"Real indeterminacy with financial assets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 22-38, February.
- John Geanakoplos & Dimitri P. Tsomocos, 2001.
"International Finance in General Equilibrium,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1313, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Geanakoplos, J D & Polemarchakis, H M, 1986. "Walrasian Indeterminacy and Keynesian Macroeconomics," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 755-79, October.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Younes, Yves, 1972. "On the Role of Money and the Existence of a Monetary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 355-72, July.
- Lucas, Robert E., 1984. "Money in a theory of finance," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 9-46, January.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1990. "Liquidity and interest rates," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 237-264, April.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Laroque, Guy, 1975.
"On Money and Banking,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 207-36, April.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Kareken, John & Wallace, Neil, 1981. "On the Indeterminacy of Equilibrium Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(2), pages 207-22, May.
- Gaetano Bloise & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2006. "Theory and practice of monetary policy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 1-23, 01.
- Raphaël Espinoza & Charles. Goodhart & Dimitrios Tsomocos, 2009. "State prices, liquidity, and default," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 177-194, May.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00505141 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charles A. E. Goodhart & Carolina Osorio & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2009. "Analysis of Monetary Policy and Financial Stability: A New Paradigm," CESifo Working Paper Series 2885, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gaël Giraud & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2010.
"Nominal Uniqueness and Money Non-neutrality in the Limit-Price Exchange Process,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
10061, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Gaël Giraud & Dimitrios Tsomocos, 2010. "Nominal uniqueness and money non-neutrality in the limit-price exchange process," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 303-348, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.