Sistemi di imprese. A proposito della nuova raccolta di saggi di Sebastiano Brusco (e della precedente)
AbstractOne of the things taught by Sebastiano Brusco is that the firm taken as a unit of analysis may turn out to be too large or too small. Too large when we address the problem of the minimum efficient size, which must refer, not to the firm as a whole, but to each single stage of the production process. Too small when the focus is on the ability to compete, which must regard, not the individual firms, but the systems of firms positioned in the different productive filiÃ¨res. In this perspective, a special place belongs to the industrial districts, which are, at one and the same time, systems of firms and communities of persons. Along with the paradigm of the isolated firm, Bruscoâ€™s analysis also rejects the broad taxonomies upon which the â€œmodels of specializationâ€ tend to be based. What really matters, in his view, is not the sector in which a product belongs, but which product we are actually dealing with, which relations are established within the relevant system of firms, and in which market segment the final producers will take their place. Clearly, such information can only be gathered in a direct way, through the field studies that Brusco was so tireless in organizing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics in its series Working Papers with number 103.
Date of creation: Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matteo Bugamelli, 2007. "Prezzi delle esportazioni, qualità dei prodotti e caratteristiche di impresa: un'analisi su un campione di imprese italiane," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(3), pages 71-103.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.