Information and the Small Firm
AbstractThis paper provides a critical survey of theory and evidence on information system (IS) development within the SME. It proceeds under five headings. First, the information needs of the SME are identified. Second, the use of information to guide decisions is considered. Third, the management accounting system (MAS) is examined as an example of operational IS within the SME. Fourth, the link between SME performance and IS development is considered, Fifth, methods of statistically estimating the performance link are examined. It is concluded that the MAS perspective is useful in that it both helps to formalise the characteristics of an IS, and suggests ways in which its design can best be directed at those monitoring and control functions which enhance performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm in its series CRIEFF Discussion Papers with number 9911.
Date of creation: Oct 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462438
Web page: http://crieff.wordpress.com/
More information through EDIRC
Small firms; information systems; management accounting; monitoring;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- M2 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics
- M4 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levy, Margi & Powell, Philip, 1998. " SME Flexibility and the Role of Information Systems," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 183-96, September.
- Gavin C Reid & Lowell R Jacobsen., . "The Small Entrepreneurial Firm," Hume Papers 8, David Hume Institute.
- Arulampalam, W. & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy P. Smith, 2002. "University of Warwick," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 9, Royal Economic Society.
- Gavin C Reid & Falconer Mitchell & Julia A. Smith, 1999. "A Framework for Addressing Hypotheses Concerning Information System Development in Small Firms," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9908, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Jordan, J S, 1989. "The Economics of Accounting Information Systems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 140-45, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bram Boskamp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.