Passenger Rail Transport: Demand and Quality in a European Panel
AbstractA panel of passenger rail data from 14 countries over 24 years is used to estimate a rail demand function for the first time at this level of aggregation. The data set includes quality variables that proxy the generalised time costs found to be important in micro studies. Robust estimates of the rail demand equation indicate much larger short and long run service quality elasticities than those for fares or cross-price elasticities, a ranking which is in agreement with estimates using highly disaggregated data. The overriding importance of service quality for stemming the declining modal shares of passenger rail transport in most countries is thus confirmed at the aggregate level.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm in its series CRIEFF Discussion Papers with number 9720.
Date of creation: Oct 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462438
Web page: http://crieff.wordpress.com/
More information through EDIRC
Rail demand; European railways;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R41 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Transportation: Demand, Supply, and Congestion
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kaushik Deb & Massimo Filippini, 2013.
"Public Bus Transport Demand Elasticities in India,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 47(3), pages 419-436, September.
- Filippini Massimo & Deb Kaushik, 2010. "Public bus transport demand elasticities in India," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 1002, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bram Boskamp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.