Quality of Patenting in the UK Scientific Instruments Industry: Database Construction
AbstractThis paper explains how a database of patent quality in the UK scientific instruments industry was constructed for the period 1981-90. A new and detailed decomposition of total patenting activity for the decade is reported upon for over ninety firms in the industry for this decade. This involves constructing patent families by exhaustively tracing all patent activity for the same invention over all patent regimes. The database is analysed in four ways: (i) differences between patenting and non-patenting firms; (ii) concentration and demand fragmentation; (iii) patenting and financial performance in 1986-87; (iv) optimal patenting firm size.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm in its series CRIEFF Discussion Papers with number 9412.
Date of creation: Oct 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462438
Web page: http://crieff.wordpress.com/
More information through EDIRC
patent quality; database; scientific instruments;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L6 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-90, September.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Futia, Carl A, 1980. "Schumpeterian Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 675-95, June.
- Bosworth, Derek L, 1973. "Changes in the Quality of Inventive Output and Patent Based Indices of Technological Change," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 95-103, November.
- Gavin C. Reid & Vandana Ujjual, 2008.
"Firms in Scottish High Technology Clusters: software, life sciences, microelectronics, optoelectronics and digital media – preliminary evidence and analysis on firm size, growth and optimality,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
0804, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Reid, Gavin C & Ujjual, Vandana, 2008. "Firms in Scottish High Technology Clusters: software, life sciences, microelectronics, optoelectronics and digital media – preliminary evidence and analysis on firm size, growth and optimality," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-41, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bram Boskamp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.