Money, Debt and Prices in the UK 1705-1996
AbstractThis paper constructs a consistent series for the market value of UK Government debt over almost 300 years. We analyse how monetary and fiscal policy affect the path of the price level in the UK. Specifically, the paper examines the interactions between debts, deficits, the monetary base and the price level. Overall, the price level has been closely related to the evolution of the base money supply. Across different sample periods, there is little econometric evidence that fiscal policy has affected the course of the price level (or of the exchange rate under the Gold Standard). Government debt has not significantly affected the base money stock either.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis in its series CDMA Working Paper Series with number 200407.
Date of creation: 15 Dec 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462444
Web page: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cdma
More information through EDIRC
Fiscal policy; debt; monetary policy; price level determination.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2004-12-20 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MAC-2004-12-20 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2004-12-20 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ajay Shah, 2008.
"New issues in Indian macro policy,"
- Shah, Ajay, 2008. "New issues in Indian macro policy," Working Papers, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy 08/51, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Thams, Andreas, 2007. "The Relevance of the fiscal Theory of the Price Level revisited," MPRA Paper 1645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2001.
"The fallacy of the fiscal theory of the price level, again,"
Bank of England working papers
141, Bank of England.
- Willem Buiter, 2000. "The Fallacy of the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level, Again," CESifo Working Paper Series 303, CESifo Group Munich.
- Peter Claeys & RaÃºl Ramos & Jordi SuriÃ±ach, 2008. "Testing the FTPL across government tiers," IREA Working Papers, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics 200812, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bram Boskamp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.