La disoccupazione giovanile in Italia. La riforma dei sistemi d'istruzione e di formazione professionale come alternativa alla flessibilità numerica per accrescere l'occupabilità
AbstractThe European Employment Strategy stresses the role of human capital accumulation, to increase via reforms of the education system and active labour market policy on a large scale, as the main instruments against unemployment. We argue that these instruments might be more effective than increasing labour market flexibility in reducing long-term youth unemployment. Nonetheless, while spending in training schemes is featured by an apparent institutional and financial poverty, the educational reform needs time to produce its effects. The multinomial logit analysis of labour market participation on YUSE data suggests that educational qualification and work experience are the most important determinants of employability. We detect also the existence of a “training trap”.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CELPE (Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy), University of Salerno, Italy in its series CELPE Discussion Papers with number 83.
Date of creation: Oct 2004
Date of revision:
European Employment Strategy; Youth Unemployment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- O'Higgins, Niall, 2001. "Youth unemployment and employment policy: a global perspective," MPRA Paper 23698, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Altavilla & Floro Ernesto Caroleo, 2006.
"Evaluating the Dynamic Effects of Active Labour Policies in Italy,"
8_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Carlo Altavilla & Floro E. Caroleo, 2006. "Evaluating the Dynamic Effects of Active Labour Policies in Italy," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 20(2), pages 349-382, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna D'Acunzo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.