Speculative Trade Equilibria with Incorrect Price Anticipations
AbstractThis paper introduces an equilibrium concept for boundedly rational agents who base their demand-supply decisions on incorrect price anticipations. Formally, we differentiate between equilibrium and out-of-equilibrium states. If the agents attach zero prior probability to all out-of-equilibrium states, our equilibrium concept coincides with Radner's (1979) concept of rational expectations equilibria (=REE). In contrast to REE, however, there may exist strict incentives for speculative asset trade whenever boundedly rational agents regard out-of-equilibrium states as possible.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Southern Africa in its series Working Papers with number 358.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Newlands on Main, F0301 3rd Floor Mariendahl House, cnr Campground and Main Rds, Claremont, 7700 Cape Town
Phone: 021 671-3980
Fax: +27 21 671 3912
Web page: http://www.econrsa.org/
More information through EDIRC
Bounded Rationality; Speculative Trade; Rational Expectations; Incorrect Prices;
Other versions of this item:
- Alexander Zimper, 2013. "Speculative Trade Equilibria with Incorrect Price Anticipations," Working Papers 201335, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- G02 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Behavioral Finance: Underlying Principles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-09-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2013-09-06 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-UPT-2013-09-06 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alexander Zimper, 2013.
"On the impossibility of insider trade in rational expectations equilibria,"
201379, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Alexander Zimper, 2013. "On the impossibility of insider trade in rational expectations equilibria," Working Papers 399, Economic Research Southern Africa.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoemna Mosaval).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.