Export Industry Policy and Reputational Comparative Advantage
AbstractCountry-of-origin reputations are endogenized in this paper and it is shown that otherwise identical countries can be correctly perceived as differing in their percentage of high-quality producers. These self-fulfilling reputations determine not only the average quality of a country’s exports but also the type of products in which a country specializes. Hence, the pattern of international trade can be determined by this “reputational comparative advantage.” An inferior country-of-origin reputation leads to lower national welfare, therefore, several trade and industrial policies that can improve country-of-origin reputation are examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ryerson University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 017.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Country-of-Origin; Quality Reputations; Statistical Discrimination; Industrial Policy.;
Other versions of this item:
- Chisik, Richard, 2003. "Export industry policy and reputational comparative advantage," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 423-451, March.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- J71 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - Hiring and Firing
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1988.
"The Role Of Export Subsisies When Product Quality Is Unknown,"
NBER Working Papers
2584, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W., 1989. "The role of export subsidies when product quality is unknown," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 69-89, August.
- Kyle Bagwell & R. Staiger, 1987. "The Role of Export Subsidies When Product Quality is Unknown," Discussion Papers 758, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Coate, Stephen & Loury, Glenn C, 1993.
"Will Affirmative-Action Policies Eliminate Negative Stereotypes?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1220-40, December.
- Coate, S. & Loury, G.C., 1992. "Will Affirmative Action Policies Eliminate Negative Stereotypes?," Papers 3, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Milgrom, P. & Shannon, C., 1991.
"Monotone Comparative Statics,"
11, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Warren J Bilkey & Erik Nes, 1982. "Country-of-Origin Effects on Product Evaluations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 13(1), pages 89-100, March.
- Wolfgang Mayer, 1984. "The Infant-Export Industry Argument," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 249-69, May.
- Justus Haucap & Christian Wey & Jens F. Barmbold, 1997. "Location Choice as a Signal for Product Quality: The Economics of 'Made in Germany'," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 153(3), pages 510-, September.
- Bagwell, Kyle, 1995.
"Commitment and observability in games,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 271-280.
- C Min Han & Vern Terpstra, 1988. "Country-Of-Origin Effects for Uni-National and Bi-National Products," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 235-255, June.
- Chiang, Shih-Chen & Masson, Robert T, 1988. "Domestic Industrial Structure and Export Quality," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(2), pages 261-70, May.
- Luis Araujo & Emanuel Ornelas, 2005.
IBMEC RJ Economics Discussion Papers
2005-08, Economics Research Group, IBMEC Business School - Rio de Janeiro.
- Eric Rasmusen, 2007. "A Reputation Model of Quality in North-South Trade," Working Papers 2007-06, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Ornelas, Emanuel, 2012.
"Preferential Trade Agreements and the Labor Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8805, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ornelas, Emanuel, 2012. "Preferential trade agreements and the labour market," ILO Working Papers 469183, International Labour Organization.
- Emanuel Ornelas, 2012. "Preferential Trade Agreements and the Labor Market," CEP Discussion Papers dp1117, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- McCalman, Phillip, 2010. "Trade policy in a "super size me" world," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 206-218, July.
- Jiménez, Nadia Huitzilin & San Martín, Sonia, 2010. "The role of country-of-origin, ethnocentrism and animosity in promoting consumer trust. The moderating role of familiarity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 34-45, February.
- Julia Cagé & Dorothée Rouzet, 2013. "Improving "National Brands": Reputation for Quality and Export Promotion Strategies," Working Papers halshs-00797006, HAL.
- Matthew Potoski & Aseem Prakash, 2009. "Information asymmetries as trade barriers: ISO 9000 increases international commerce," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 221-238.
- Justus Haucap & Christian Wey & Jens Barmbold, 1998.
"Location Costs, Product Quality, and Implicit Franchise Contracts,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 98-08, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Haucap, Justus & Wey, Christian & Barmbold, Jens, 2000. "Location costs, product quality and implicit franchise contracts," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 69-87, October.
- Roy Mill, 2011. "Hiring and Learning in Online Global Labor Markets," Working Papers 11-17, NET Institute, revised Oct 2011.
- Brenton, Paul & Hoppe, Mombert, 2007. "Clothing and export diversification : still a route to growth for low-income countries ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4343, The World Bank.
- Nadia Cuffaro & Marina Di Giacinto, 2011. "High quality exports and consumers’ trust: a development perspective," Working Papers 2011-04, Universita' di Cassino, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche.
- Iraj Hashi & Nebojša Stojčić, 2013. "Knowledge Spillovers, Innovation Activities, And Competitiveness Of Industries In Eu Member And Candidate Countries," Economic Annals, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, vol. 58(198), pages 7-34, July - Se.
- Stephen DeLoach & Jayoti Das, 2008.
"Resolving the paradox of social standards and export competitiveness,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 467-483.
- Stephen B. DeLoach & Jayoti Das, 2008. "Resolving the Paradox of Social Standards and Export Competitiveness," Working Papers 2008-03, Elon University, Department of Economics.
- Blanchard, Emily & Willmann, Gerald, 2011. "Escaping a protectionist rut: Policy mechanisms for trade reform in a democracy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 72-85, September.
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Livanis, Grigorios T. & West, Carol Taylor, 2005. "How Cool is C.O.O.L.?," Working Papers 15658, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Julia Cagé & Dorothée Rouzet, 2013. "Improving "National Brands": Reputation for Quality and Export Promotion Strategies," PSE Working Papers halshs-00797006, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurice Roche).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.