Binary quantile regression: A Bayesian approach based on the asymmetric Laplace density
AbstractIn this article, we develop a Bayesian method for quantile regression in the case of dichotomous response data. The frequentist approach to this type of regression has proven problematic in both optimizing the objective function and making inference on the regression parameters. By accepting additional distributional assumptions on the error terms, the Bayesian method proposed sets the problem in a parametric framework in which these problems are avoided, i.e. it is relatively straightforward to calculate point predictions of the estimators with their corresponding credible intervals. To test the applicability of the method, we ran two Monte-Carlo experiments and applied it to Horowitz’ (1993) often studied work-trip mode choice dataset. Compared to previous estimates for the latter dataset, the method proposed interestingly leads to a different economic interpretation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration in its series Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium with number 10/662.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
quantile regression; binary regression; maximum score; asymmetric Laplace distribution; Bayesian inference; work-trip mode choice;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manski, Charles F. & Thompson, T. Scott, 1986. "Operational characteristics of maximum score estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 85-108, June.
- Kotlyarova, Yulia & Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 2006.
"Non- and semi-parametric estimation in models with unknown smoothness,"
Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 379-386, December.
- Yulia Kotlyarova & Victoria Zinde-Walsh, 2006. "Non And Semi-Parametric Estimation In Models With Unknown Smoothness," Departmental Working Papers 2006-15, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Gozalo, Pedro & Linton, Oliver, 2000. "Local nonlinear least squares: Using parametric information in nonparametric regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 63-106, November.
- Jose A. F. Machado & J. M. C. Santos Silva, 2002.
"Quantiles for counts,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP22/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Yu, Keming & Stander, Julian, 2007. "Bayesian analysis of a Tobit quantile regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 260-276, March.
- Jason Abrevaya & Jian Huang, 2005. "On the Bootstrap of the Maximum Score Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1175-1204, 07.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of a work-trip mode choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 49-70, July.
- Bilias, Yannis & Chen, Songnian & Ying, Zhiliang, 2000. "Simple resampling methods for censored regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 373-386, December.
- Manski, Charles F., 1985. "Semiparametric analysis of discrete response : Asymptotic properties of the maximum score estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 313-333, March.
- Florios, Kostas & Skouras, Spyros, 2008. "Exact computation of max weighted score estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 86-91, September.
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
- Ji, Yonggang & Lin, Nan & Zhang, Baoxue, 2012. "Model selection in binary and tobit quantile regression using the Gibbs sampler," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 827-839.
- R. Alhamzawi & K. Yu & D. F. Benoit, 2011. "Bayesian adaptive Lasso quantile regression," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/728, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.