The EU Internal Electricity Market: Done Forever?
AbstractTaking a quarter-century to build a European internal market for electricity may seem an incredibly long journey. The aim of achieving a European-wide market might be reached, but we have gone through – and should continue to go through – a process subject to many adverse dynamics. The EU internal market may derail greatly in the coming years from the effects of a massive push for renewables, as well as a growing decentralization of the production-consumption loop. Moreover, a serious concern is the risk of a definitive fragmentation of the European electricity market due to uncoordinated national moves with respect to renewable support and capacity mechanisms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series RSCAS Working Papers with number 2013/66.
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
EU internal market; Power sector reform; Renewable integration;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-12-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2013-12-15 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2013-12-15 (Microeconomic European Issues)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haikel Khalfallah & Jean-Michel Glachant, 2012. "An assessment of the tools of incentive regulation in electricity networks," ECONOMICS AND POLICY OF ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 0(1), pages 121-152.
- Jean-Michel Glachant, 2010. "The Achievement of the EU Electricity Internal Market through Market Coupling," RSCAS Working Papers 2010/87, European University Institute.
- Zachmann, Georg, 2008. "Electricity wholesale market prices in Europe: Convergence?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1659-1671, July.
- Olmos, Luis & Pérez-Arriaga, Ignacio J., 2009. "A comprehensive approach for computation and implementation of efficient electricity transmission network charges," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5285-5295, December.
- Weigt, Hannes & Hirschhausen, Christian von, 2008. "Price formation and market power in the German wholesale electricity market in 2006," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4227-4234, November.
- Olmos, Luis & Ruester, Sophia & Liong, Siok-Jen & Glachant, Jean-Michel, 2011. "Energy efficiency actions related to the rollout of smart meters for small consumers, application to the Austrian system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 4396-4409.
- Arthur Henriot, 2013.
"Financing investment in the European electricity transmission network: Consequences on long-term sustainability of the TSOs financial structure,"
RSCAS Working Papers
2013/27, European University Institute.
- Henriot, Arthur, 2013. "Financing investment in the European electricity transmission network: Consequences on long-term sustainability of the TSOs financial structure," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 821-829.
- Christian von Hirschhausen & Claudia Kemfert & Friedrich Kunz & Roman Mendelevitch, 2013. "Europäische Stromerzeugung nach 2020: Beitrag erneuerbarer Energien nicht unterschätzen," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 80(29), pages 3-13.
- Nikogosian, Vigen & Veith, Tobias, 2011. "Vertical integration, separation and non-price discrimination: An empirical analysis of German electricity markets for residential customers," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-069, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Green, Richard, 2006. "Market power mitigation in the UK power market," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 76-89, June.
- Luis Olmos & Sophia Ruester & Siok Jen Liong & Jean-Michel Glachant, 2010. "Energy Efficiency Actions Related to the Rollout of Smart Meters for Small Consumers," RSCAS Working Papers 2010/02fsr, European University Institute.
- Pasaoglu, Guzay & Honselaar, Michel & Thiel, Christian, 2012. "Potential vehicle fleet CO2 reductions and cost implications for various vehicle technology deployment scenarios in Europe," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 404-421.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.