What type(s) of support schemes for storage in island power systems?
AbstractThis paper proposes a support mechanism for energy storage devices for island power systems where intermittent renewable generation is rapidly growing. We base our proposal on the maturity level of storage devices (Chen and al., 2009) and on the linear model for the development of innovations (Foxon et al., 2005). We focus on storage technologies that can be technically developed in island power systems and that achieve the technical needs of these systems. We conclude that the horizon when the power storage shall extend to prevent the development of intermittent renewable generation from being thwarted in these systems, a feed-in tariff with a price varying within the time of day must be put in place.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series RSCAS Working Papers with number 2012/70.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2013-04-20 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-REG-2013-04-20 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramteen Sioshansi, 2010. "Some Policy and Research Questions Related to Energy Storage," RSCAS Working Papers 2010/58, European University Institute.
- Weisser, Daniel, 2004. "Power sector reform in small island developing states: what role for renewable energy technologies?," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 101-127, April.
- Dufo-López, Rodolfo & Bernal-Agustín, José L. & Domínguez-Navarro, José A., 2009. "Generation management using batteries in wind farms: Economical and technical analysis for Spain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 126-139, January.
- Perez, Yannick & Ramos Real, Francisco Javier, 2008. "How to make a European integrated market in small and isolated electricity systems? The case of the Canary Islands," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4159-4167, November.
- Ramos-Real, Francisco Javier & Moreno-Piquero, Juan Carlos & Ramos-Henriquez, Jose Manuel, 2007. "The effects of introducing natural gas in the Canary Islands for electricity generation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 3925-3935, July.
- Liebowitz, S J & Margolis, Stephen E, 1995.
"Path Dependence, Lock-in, and History,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 205-26, April.
- Gustavo A. Marrero & Francisco Javier Ramos-Real, 2010.
"Electricity generation cost in isolated system: the complementarities of natural gas and renewables in the Canary Islands,"
- Marrero, Gustavo A. & Ramos-Real, Francisco Javier, 2010. "Electricity generation cost in isolated system: The complementarities of natural gas and renewables in the Canary Islands," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 2808-2818, December.
- Liebowitz, S J & Margolis, Stephen E, 1990. "The Fable of the Keys," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(1), pages 1-25, April.
- Sioshansi, Ramteen & Denholm, Paul & Jenkin, Thomas & Weiss, Jurgen, 2009. "Estimating the value of electricity storage in PJM: Arbitrage and some welfare effects," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 269-277, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.