Valuing Community Attributes in Rural Counties in West Virginia: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis
AbstractThe study used Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) to examine community attributes of rural counties in West Virginia using variables determining quality of life. This analysis was done to understand the value of the social and economic characteristics associated with different communities as migration patterns in the US are mostly attributed to community characteristics determining the residents’ valuation of the quality of life in an area. County level data was used to identify counties that are inefficient, measured in terms of socioeconomic factors. The data is composed of output variables representing desirable community attributes and input variables representing the undesirable characteristics. Analysis was done by using Data Envelopment Analysis to calculate efficiency scores among rural counties in the State as quantitative measures of the efficient production of quality of life within communities. The results show that the majority of the rural counties in the State lie on the efficiency frontier, while others are classified to be inefficient. The research findings are of interest to policy makers as indicators of community performance which can be used for evaluating counties in terms of quality of life.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Regional Research Institute, West Virginia University in its series Working Papers with number 200803.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 886 Chestnut Ridge Road, P.O. Box 6825, Morgantown, WV 26506-6825
Phone: 304 293 2896
Fax: 304 293 6699
Web page: http://rri.wvu.edu/research/working-papers/
More information through EDIRC
data envelopment analysis; migration; quality of life; regional development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- James O. Bukenya & Tesfa G. Gebremedhin & Peter V. Schaeffer, 2003. "Analysis of Quality of Life and Rural Development: Evidence from West Virginia Data," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 34(2), pages 202-218.
- Gorton, Matthew & Davidova, Sophia, 2004. "Farm productivity and efficiency in the CEE applicant countries: a synthesis of results," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Dionysia Lambiri & Bianca Biagi & Vicente Royuela, 2007.
"Quality of Life in the Economic and Urban Economic Literature,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 1-25, October.
- B. Biagi & D. Lambiri & V. Royuela, 2006. "Quality of Life in the Economic and Urban Economic Literature," Working Paper CRENoS 200610, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Steven C. Deller & Tsung-Hsiu (Sue) Tsai & David W. Marcouiller & Donald B.K. English, 2001. "The Role of Amenities and Quality of Life In Rural Economic Growth," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 352-365.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Randall Jackson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.