On the welfare state performance in the European Union
AbstractIn this paper we use data on five social inclusion indicators (poverty, inequality, unemployment, education and health) to assess and compare the performance of 27 European welfare states (EU27) in 2008. Aggregate measures of performance are obtained using index number methods similar to those employed in the construction of the widely used Human Development Index (HDI). These are compared with alternative measures derived from data envelopment analysis (DEA) methods. We are particularly interested by the comparison between EU15 and the 12 newcomers (EU12). As it will appear among the newcomers some countries are ranking among the top performers and others are relegated in the bottom of the ranking.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège in its series CREPP Working Papers with number 1101.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boulevard du Rectorat, 7, Batiment 31, boite 39, 4000 Liege
Phone: + 32 (0) 4 366 31 08
Fax: + 32 (0) 4 366 31 06
Web page: http://www2.ulg.ac.be/crepp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Coelli, Tim & Lefebvre, Mathieu & Perelman, Sergio & Pestieau, Pierre, 2010. "On the Welfare State Performance in the European Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 8096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurens Cherchye & Wim Moesen & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2003.
"Legitimately Diverse, yet Comparable: On Synthesising Social Inclusion Performance in the EU,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces0301, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Laurens Cherchye & Wim Moesen & Tom Puyenbroeck, 2004. "Legitimately Diverse, yet Comparable: On Synthesizing Social Inclusion Performance in the EU," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(5), pages 919-955, December.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1990.
"Tax harmonization and tax competition in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 489-504, May.
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2005.
"Public sector efficiency: An international comparison,"
Springer, vol. 123(3), pages 321-347, June.
- Afonso, António & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito, 2003. "Public sector efficiency: an international comparison," Working Paper Series 0242, European Central Bank.
- Afonso, António & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito, 2006.
"Public sector efficiency: evidence for new EU member states and emerging markets,"
Working Paper Series
0581, European Central Bank.
- Antonio Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2010. "Public sector efficiency: evidence for new EU member states and emerging markets," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(17), pages 2147-2164.
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2006. "Public Sector Efficiency: Evidence for New EU Member States and Emerging Markets," Working Papers 2006/01, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mathieu Lefebvre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.