Environmental and Ecological Economics: A Citation Analysis
AbstractThis study looks at two distinct questions: What have been the most influential journal articles in environmental economics over the ten year period 1994-2003? and, how much overlap is there between the fields of environmental and ecological economics? We examine the references in all articles published in JEEM and Ecological Economics (EE) over this period. For each of these two fields, a list of the top articles and top journals cited by articles published in JEEM and EE is presented. We also present some results based on our study of the ISI Journal Citation Reports. We find that there is a significant overlap between the two fields at the journal level - the two journals cite similar journals. There is a correlation of 0.34 between the number of citations received by the journals that are most cited and the correlation is even higher if journal self-citation is excluded. The main differences are that ecological economics tends to cite (but not be cited by) general natural science journals more often than environmental economics does, environmental economics cites more heavily from journals rather than other publications, and citations in environmental economics are more concentrated on particular journals and individual publications. However, there is much less similarity at the level of individual articles. Non-market valuation articles dominate the most cited articles in JEEM while green accounting, sustainability, and environmental Kuznets curve are all prominent topics in EE.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics in its series Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics with number 0418.
Date of creation: Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Ma, Chunbo & Stern, David I., 2006. "Environmental and ecological economics: A citation analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 491-506, June.
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
- B29 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Other
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
- Q50 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-31 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ignacio Palacios-Huerta & Oscar Volij, 2002.
"The Measurement of Intellectual Influence,"
Economic theory and game theory
015, Oscar Volij.
- Costanza, Robert & Stern, David & Fisher, Brendan & He, Lining & Ma, Chunbo, 2004.
"Influential publications in ecological economics: a citation analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 50(3-4), pages 261-292, October.
- Robert Costanza & David I. Stern & Brendan P. Fisher & Lining He & Chunbo Ma, 2004. "Influential Publications in Ecological Economics: A Citation Analysis," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0408, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Laband, David N & Tollison, Robert D & Karahan, Gokhan R, 2002. "Quality Control in Economics," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 315-34.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Discussion Papers in Economics 01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Kolstad, Charles D., 2000. "Energy and Depletable Resources: Economics and Policy, 1973-1998," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 282-305, May.
- Laband, David N & Piette, Michael J, 1994. "The Relative Impacts of Economics Journals: 1970-1990," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 640-66, June.
- Fisher, Athony & Ward, Michael, 2000. "Trends in Natural Resource Economics in JEEM 1974-1997: Breakpoint and Nonparametric Analysis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 264-281, May.
- Richard Dusansky & Clayton J. Vernon, 1998. "Rankings of U.S. Economics Departments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 157-170, Winter.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1994. "Environmental Quality and Development: Is There a Kuznets Curve for Air Pollution Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 147-162, September.
- Cameron, Trudy Ann, 1988. "A new paradigm for valuing non-market goods using referendum data: Maximum likelihood estimation by censored logistic regression," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 355-379, September.
- Fuchs, Victor R., 2000. "The future of health economics1," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 141-157, March.
- Burton, M P & Phimister, Euan, 1995. "Core Journals: A Reappraisal of the Diamond List," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(429), pages 361-73, March.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L., 1992. "Valuing public goods: The purchase of moral satisfaction," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 57-70, January.
- Scott, Loren C & Mitias, Peter M, 1996. "Trends in Rankings of Economics Departments in the U.S.: An Update," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(2), pages 378-400, April.
- Smith, V. Kerry, 2000. "JEEM and Non-market Valuation: 1974-1998," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 351-374, May.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- New Citation Analysis of Environmental and Ecological Economics
by David Stern in Stochastic Trend on 2012-03-29 05:47:00
- Castro e Silva and Teixeira
by David Stern in Stochastic Trend on 2011-05-22 10:09:00
- Top Environmental and Energy Economics Journals
by David Stern in Stochastic Trend on 2010-06-26 12:45:00
- ANZSEE vs. AARES
by David Stern in Stochastic Trend on 2010-02-11 08:13:00
by David Stern in Stochastic Trend on 2009-06-28 03:03:00
- Choumert, Johanna & Combes Motel, Pascale & Dakpo, Hervé K., 2013. "Is the Environmental Kuznets Curve for deforestation a threatened theory? A meta-analysis of the literature," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 19-28.
- David I. Stern, 2013.
"Uncertainty Measures for Economics Journal Impact Factors,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 51(1), pages 173-89, March.
- David I. Stern, 2013. "Uncertainty Measures for Economics Journal Impact Factors," Crawford School Research Papers 1302, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Petterson Molina Vale, 2011. "Acodição Estável Da Economia: Teoria Eprática," Anais do XXXVII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 37th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 193, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Jiřina Jílková & Lenka Slavíková, 2009. "Economics of the Environmental Protection on the Crossroad," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(5), pages 660-676.
- Schymura, Michael & Löschel, Andreas, 2012. "Investigating JEEM empirically: A story of co-authorship and collaboration," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-029, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jesús Barreiro-Hurlé & José Gómez-Limón, 2008. "Reconsidering Heterogeneity and Aggregation Issues in Environmental Valuation: A Multi-attribute Approach," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(4), pages 551-570, August.
- Johanna Choumert & Pascale Combes Motel & K. Herve DAKPO, 2012.
"The environmental Kuznets curve for deforestation: a threatened theory? A meta-analysis,"
- K. Herve DAKPO & Pascale COMBES MOTEL & Johanna CHOUMERT, 2012. "The environmental Kuznets curve for deforestation: a threatened theory? A meta-analysis," Working Papers 201216, CERDI.
- David I. Stern, 2012. "Ecological Economics," Crawford School Research Papers 1203, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Heim) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask John Heim to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.